PDA

View Full Version : what is your development environment?

n7zzt
03-20-2008, 05:53 AM
ok devs,
this is rather an important question. A friend of mine
on the phone suggests that if you are developing under an older version
of linux, it could result in some incompatibilities..

In my case, my client freezes at random (I am on an AMD64 machine with with OS being Kubuntu 7.10 (gutsy) running kernel 2.6.22-14-generic and under the NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 100.14.19 driver set.

my room mates machine (which seems a lot more stable):

cpuinfo:
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 8
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
cpu MHz : 1526.957

nvidia info: NVIDIA Linux x86 Kernel Module 96.43.01
agp info:
Fast Writes: Supported
SBA: Not Supported
AGP Rates: 4x 2x 1x
Registers: 0x1f000017:0x1f000104

card: Quadro NVS 280 SD

Given the above, his machine has not locked up at all during an entire day of gameplay, nor has it encountered any of the problems associated with later versions of OS and nvidia drivers.

Comp
03-20-2008, 07:52 PM
ok devs,
this is rather an important question. A friend of mine
on the phone suggests that if you are developing under an older version
of linux, it could result in some incompatibilities..

In my case, my client freezes at random (I am on an AMD64 machine with with OS being Kubuntu 7.10 (gutsy) running kernel 2.6.22-14-generic and under the NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 100.14.19 driver set.

my room mates machine (which seems a lot more stable):

cpuinfo:
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 8
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
cpu MHz : 1526.957

nvidia info: NVIDIA Linux x86 Kernel Module 96.43.01
agp info:
Fast Writes: Supported
SBA: Not Supported
AGP Rates: 4x 2x 1x
Registers: 0x1f000017:0x1f000104

card: Quadro NVS 280 SD

Given the above, his machine has not locked up at all during an entire day of gameplay, nor has it encountered any of the problems associated with later versions of OS and nvidia drivers.

When you lock up, what does dmesg or /var/log/messages say?? Do you see anything in there that points to a reason? My laptop locks at times but I've determined that it is a heat related issue.

n7zzt
03-24-2008, 01:06 PM
When you lock up, what does dmesg or /var/log/messages say?? Do you see anything in there that points to a reason? My laptop locks at times but I've determined that it is a heat related issue.

actually no. no messages appear in var/log/messages at all and dmesg appears clear of any errors associated with the game.

Lostsoul
03-24-2008, 01:55 PM
When does the kernel relate to software problems? Kernel defines hardware and is the acting intermediary between hardware and software, such that software can communicate with the hardware.

You posted things things (1) Difference in kernel versions; (2) Difference in linux distributions; (3) Difference in in nvidia hardware; (4) Difference in nvidia driver versions; and (5) the 64 vs. x86 architecture difference.

You, as well as your friend, seem to suggest that, ignoring for these factors, that all linux distributions are configured the same way?

I'm not so sure it's the developers "development environment" versus your own.

Also comparing apples to oranges wont allow you to come to any formal conclusion on such an issue.

Comp
03-24-2008, 05:08 PM
actually no. no messages appear in var/log/messages at all and dmesg appears clear of any errors associated with the game.

You won't get errors associated with the game - but you need to grep through it for errors related to the nvidia driver or problems with the kernel.