PDA

View Full Version : New PC or New Graphics Card

Klutu
09-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Hello

I'm going to be looking at upgrading my Computer or Hardware. I don't know that much about Computers :P

heres my info

Model: Aspire M1200
Processor: AMD Athlon Processor LE - 1640 2.70ghz
Memory(RAM) 1.00GB

Graphics Card - ATI 2100

this is my computers specs - was a basic pc i bought about 2-3 years ago

Should I upgrade to a new computer entirely or upgrade my Graphics Card?

Znurre
09-13-2010, 07:59 PM
I'd say upgrade it all.

For Regnum to work fluently in large wars with other applications running in the background you need at least 2GB of ram.
If you want graphics card with good performance for the price, check out a GeForce GTX 460.

UmarilsStillHere
09-13-2010, 08:04 PM
Preferably you want more than 1GB ram for gaming. And some memory on your gcard too.

Im dont know a whole lot about PC's either, but I run shader 4 smooth at invasion gate battles with this:

CPU: Intel Core Quad Q8300 @ 2.50ghz - 2.50ghz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT (1GB)
RAM: 4GB
HD: 680GB

Adding the GPU myself this came to about £500-£600 Iirc.

Ive also had no significant problems playing some more graphic heavy games.

Malevolence
09-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Yep dude time to buy a new one I would think.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/sectors/computers/index.asp

Syd_Vicious
09-13-2010, 08:46 PM
CPU: Depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to run a single threaded app like most games are just go with a dual core. Dual core will take care of the game on one core and run the background apps on the other. I Prefer triple core and quad core because it allows me to run various apps at the same time without a massive lag in performance. AMD has some 6 core chips out, but I would only recommend them if you were seriously into video editing or multimedia intensive programs. With gaming being mostly single threaded a faster CPU will have more of an impact than a low speed core. How many cores you need is up to your style of computing.

GPU: Don't buy any Intel integrated graphic mother boards. These things sap your CPU processes and memory in order to kick out the graphics. Always go with a third party card based solution (unless on laptop). What will work well right now are the Nvidia Geforce 9 series, 200 series, 300 series and 400 series. ATI I would recommend 4800 series and up. Be aware that the higher the series you go up, regardless of manufacturer, the more you have to spend on quality power supply products to supply all that power. Also those 400 series Nvidias have the highest power requirements.

Memory: Get more of it. Regardless of your style, at least 4 gigs is good for anyone. If you are running a 32 bit OS and do not have a PAE extension kernel enabled, then 3 gig is good for you.

You have to balance what works well right now and what you think will work well in the near future. An example of this is that I used to run dual Nvidia Geforce 7300 GTs in SLI. I ran that for 2 years before thinking I should upgrade as it was a good match of speed and power consumption for my system. At the time I got the 7300 GTs, the 8 series cards were already out and I could of picked up two 8800s. The 8 series cards though would have had me upgrade my power supply as well just to run in SLI. So I decided on a series back and spent the money I saved on more system memory. So the latest and greatest isn't always the best fit, you gotta budget your system and build a system within those constraints.

Klutu
09-13-2010, 11:55 PM
Hmm so far if i was to buy a new PC this is what Ive come up with :P

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/alienware-aurora-r2/pd

Any Good?

Malevolence
09-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Hmm so far if i was to buy a new PC this is what Ive come up with :P

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/alienware-aurora-r2/pd

Any Good?

I am not a fan of Dell but it looks pretty cool.

Have a look at this one its in the same price range.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6077552&CatId=4373

Cuchulainn
09-14-2010, 04:12 AM
I would check if your motherboard supports Phenom II or Athlon II processors. If its socket AM2+, it maybe also supports current Phenom II and Athlon II processors. Probably not the hexacores (Phenom II X6), but maybe the processors from 2009. With about 3 years your motherboard is not very outdated. Check the date of the last bios update on www.acer.com.

With a AMD processors you will get much more for your money and maybe you even safe your money for a new motherboard. Intel CPU's are a bit faster but cost much more.

If the graphiccard is not only for Regnum but also for more graphic heavy games I would suggest Radeon HD 5770 or GeForce GTS 450 or a bit better.

Syd_Vicious
09-14-2010, 05:59 AM
Word of caution about looking at systems that come with liquid cooling. You would want to investigate whether they have metal or plastic fittings. What type of radiator comes stock with the system and what type of coolant it uses. Some of the systems that offer liquid cooling free with the system are in the same performance range of a mid-grade 120mm fan + heat-sink combo. Just a buyer beware thing.

HidraA
09-14-2010, 12:09 PM
Hello

I'm going to be looking at upgrading my Computer or Hardware. I don't know that much about Computers :P

heres my info

Model: Aspire M1200
Processor: AMD Athlon Processor LE - 1640 2.70ghz
Memory(RAM) 1.00GB

Graphics Card - ATI 2100

this is my computers specs - was a basic pc i bought about 2-3 years ago

Should I upgrade to a new computer entirely or upgrade my Graphics Card?

I dont think you need "mamooths" listed above ...
one new motherboard with one Intel pentium i3 ,2-4 Gb DDR2 and one good Nvidia/ati VGA card is enaught...and this make only around 500$-600$....mine is very old one like IPentium4 ,2 GB DDR2 and one NVidia 9500GT and i play almoust all game smouth.
Ofc exception is made it by Regnum what has lag due of sucks engine(network code also maybe)...is only the game what i have troble...but even new games like Star Wars Force Unleashed i play at better FPS.
-But wtv chose what you want ):
Personaly at 1200$ i will chose one Xenon CPU ...and not I3,i5,i7 series :P

Seher
09-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Cool quad cores aren't very expensive, and you'll be able to use them for a very long time, I don't think there will be games really using 8 cores and more soon. ;D
I'd recommend a nice amd quad. (Phenom II X4 945?) The motherboard I bought was GA-870A-UD3.

As a graphics card gtx 460 or hd 5770, depends on how much you want to spend. (Or hd 5850 if you've got too much money :P I wouldn't buy 5870, just too expensive)
My 5770 runs very well anyway. :P