General discussion Topics related to various aspects of Champions of Regnum

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
Adrian
NGD·Studios

Adrian will become famous soon enoughAdrian will become famous soon enough
Default Combat system test - Amun - Phase 3

Hello everyone,

After several fixes and some balance touch-ups that were obviously required, we are finally arriving at a version that represents our original idea for the system. Thanks for your feedback, please continue testing/posting in this thread.

Changes:

- Cooldown: Blue for the casted power, grey for global cooldown.
- Cooldown: The casting time is no longer taken into account (given that the cooldown starts at the casting of the spell).
- The character will not try to attack during the 2 seconds that is trying to cast a spell.
- Warcry animation for mounts.
- The client changes to combat mode by itself before casting a spell (if the spell indicates it). This way, the animation will not be broken.
- The spell queue works (I click a spell and when in range the cast starts, as it always was).

The casting times for the following spells were changed, mostly reduced.

Notice: Due to the new combat/animation system, archer and mage spells must have a minimum 0.5 sec. casting time.

Colossus: Instant cast.
Frenzy: Instant cast.
Berserk: Instant cast. Armor penalty removed. Mana cost slightly adjusted.
Deflect Projectiles: Cast time 1 sec.
Ethereal Mantle: Cast time 1.5 sec.
Rigorous Preparation: Cast time 1 sec.
Intuition: Cast time 1 sec.
Troll's Skin: Cooldown raised to 4.5 min.
Execution: Instant cast
Dirty Fighting: Instant cast
Finesse: Cast time 1 sec.
Distracting Shot: Cast time 1 sec.

Shield Piercing: Cast time 0.5 sec.
Break Apart: Cast time 1.5 sec.
Obfuscate: Cast time 1 sec.
Heal Pet: Cast time 0.5 sec.
Beast Wrath: Cast time 1.5 sec.
Ensnaring Arrow: Cast time 0.5 sec.
Camouflage Corpse: Cast time 0.5 sec.
Finger Crush: Cast time 0.5 sec.
Cyclops Curse: Cast time 1 sec.
Lethal Strike: Cast time 1.5 sec.

Hawk's Gaze: Cast time 2 sec.
Winter Stroke: Cast time 0.5 sec.
Burst of Wind: Cast time 0.5 sec.
Needle Blast: Cast time 1 sec.
Lightning Arrow: Cast time 1.5 sec.

Extraplanar Bond: Cast time 0.5 sec.
Dispel Magic: Cast time 0.5 sec.
Bless: Cast time 0.5 sec.
Bless Weapon: Cast time 0.5 sec.
Synergy Bond: Cast time 0.5 sec.
Wind Wall: Cast time 0.5 sec.
Static Field: Cast time 0.5 sec.
Curse: Cast time 0.5 sec.
Blindness: Cast time 0.5 sec.

Regenerate Ally: Cast time 0.5 sec.
Heal Ally: Cast time 0.5 sec. Mana cost raised in all levels.
Mind Push: Cast time 0.5 sec.
Regenerate Self: Cast time 0.5 sec.

Bugs:

We believe that the majority of the bugs posted in the previous threads were fixed.

Please remember that the animations still need to be worked.

Also, we know that we will have to deal now with SM (Staff Mastery).

Last edited by Adrian; 09-18-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Adrian no ha iniciado sesión  
Old 09-18-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
_Enio_
Marquis

_Enio_ will become famous soon enough

"Notice: Due to the new combat/animation system, archer and mage spells must have a minimum 0.5 sec. casting time."

Just for the sake of the overhauled, flawless new combat system - put in an instant-cast animation and get rid of technical problems (like eg this) standing in the way of balancing.
It sounds liek you would want to make some casts instant but you cannot due to restrictions of the new system - get rid of them as soon as possible.

Please no "Dirty fixes" because you have the animation there. Instants maybe need a different, shorter one.

Apart from that, very nice!

/me goes testing..
Old 09-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
Arafails
Baron

Arafails will become famous soon enough

Bear in mind, this is me, a Barbarian who bitches about his shit armour all the time....

I'm skeptical about the removal of the armour penalty on Berserk. I say this without having tested it yet, though.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
Adrian
NGD·Studios

Adrian will become famous soon enoughAdrian will become famous soon enough

Hi,

There is a big bug that must be fixed and maybe we will shutdown Amun. This bug allows to be casting while moving and doesn't allow to test properly.

This thread will be closed until Amun gets back online (notice that it's Friday, 20:00, it may be until tomorrow).

PD: Fixed and open!

Regards,

Last edited by Adrian; 09-18-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Adrian no ha iniciado sesión  
Old 09-18-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
_Enio_
Marquis

_Enio_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailer View Post
PD: Fixed and open!

Regards,
Woot nice!!
Old 09-18-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
Kyrottimus
Baron

Kyrottimus will become famous soon enough

Awesome! Pre-casting works great with melee again! I like the new GCD timers too! I feel I can almost get back into the "rhythm" of melee combat again.

One item of concern though: casting things like Thirst for Blood or Howl while running still won't force-stop your char to cast. Nor does it "slow you down" while casting either. It just won't cast at all if you're moving.

I'd rather have my character's movement to be force-stopped so the buff/spell WILL cast, than keep moving after. Rather than to not have it activate, only to have to stop moving myself so I can buff/cast it.

Last edited by Kyrottimus; 09-19-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Kyrottimus no ha iniciado sesión  
Old 09-19-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
theotherhiveking
Count

theotherhiveking has a spectacular aura abouttheotherhiveking has a spectacular aura abouttheotherhiveking has a spectacular aura about

Hi, a bug and some suggestions.

Berserk its still not instant (a oversight i guess).

Reduce mana cost on firsts levels, simply too expensive for very little benefit,
starting on 100-120 sounds reasonable.

State clearly that the buff only takes in account weapon damage and not strength, this confuses everyone, its simply not clear enough, same for the passive, i even send ponter a pm, and posted a thread in balance about it.

Jaw breaker, almost impossible to cast, and way taking in account you will end up never casting it (i use it in lvl one and i fail 8 of 10 castings)
It never got casted on me, or maybe yes, but i dodged it without even noticing.

Suggestion: reduction of casting time to 0.75, 1s is ok with a spear, but maces dont have these extra range..), Also, reducing the mana cost around 60 would be nice.

Also you must totally do something to execution and martial reflexes, high duration its simply not enough, im not even sure these work at all(thats the actual problem).

Well, thats all, nice job, i have to say i like it.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:09 AM   #8
chilko
NGD·Studios

chilko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Enio_ View Post
"Notice: Due to the new combat/animation system, archer and mage spells must have a minimum 0.5 sec. casting time."

Just for the sake of the overhauled, flawless new combat system - put in an instant-cast animation and get rid of technical problems (like eg this) standing in the way of balancing.
It sounds like you would want to make some casts instant but you cannot due to restrictions of the new system - get rid of them as soon as possible.
you are wrong, we are not doing this because of a restriction or an animation problem.
Insta-cast and 0.5 seconds is almost the same in this new system because the casting starts in the client, and because how some things are and where processed in the server also.

Please remember that insta-cast was A BUG... according to design insta-cast had to wait for the weapon speed round... when we fixed the BUG, insta-cast spells where MUCH less responsive because you may not know how long you had to wait for the next weapon round. Starting right away a short casting was much faster.

We are actually conceding that some spells are almost instant with 0.5.

Also, now weapon speed is almost 100% faster, take that into consideration also... there are situations in the game where ranged classes DOES NOT need to move that much (defending forts) we need to make a balance between RVR and PVP.

Also, we want to be over with insta-cast for attacking in order to balance between Hardcore and more casual players, High ping and low ping users... It is something that you will need to live with. Please test before complaining.

Regards,

Chilko
chilko no ha iniciado sesión  
Old 09-19-2009, 08:03 AM   #9
e30G
Count

e30G will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilko View Post
We are actually conceding that some spells are almost instant with 0.5.

Also, now weapon speed is almost 100% faster, take that into consideration also... there are situations in the game where ranged classes DOES NOT need to move that much (defending forts) we need to make a balance between RVR and PVP.

Also, we want to be over with insta-cast for attacking in order to balance between Hardcore and more casual players, High ping and low ping users... It is something that you will need to live with. Please test before complaining.
There has been some improvement. Congratulations!

However, I still feel that support spells should be instant. 0.5secs is enough to be canceled, and I've had it cancel twice. Also, with my ping, it feels FAR LESS than instant. I do not see how cast times for those spells help people with high ping like me.

The cooldown timer isn't that visible. I suggest the cooldown timer turn the icon into black and white, with the portion of the timer that is done into color.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #10
Isemon
Initiate

Isemon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30ernest View Post
There has been some improvement. Congratulations!

However, I still feel that support spells should be instant. 0.5secs is enough to be canceled, and I've had it cancel twice. Also, with my ping, it feels FAR LESS than instant. I do not see how cast times for those spells help people with high ping like me.

The cooldown timer isn't that visible. I suggest the cooldown timer turn the icon into black and white, with the portion of the timer that is done into color.
same here.
Closed Thread

Tags
balance, phase, spells, testing