Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > Questions to the Community

Questions to the Community Guides and how-to play threads posted by other users

Old 11-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Kitsuni
Baron

Kitsuni is on a distinguished road
Default Armor system explained

Hi guys, just here to let you know that we've completed a fairly complete documentation of the armor system.

For anyone who is interested, this information is below. Hopefully NGD won't mind me posting it as this information was gathered through very extensive testing by multiple people over several years and not by reverse-engineering or tampering with the game in any way!

(This was originally a text file, so you need Courier New font for it to be displayed properly.)

++++++++++++++++++++
+++ ARMOR SYSTEM +++
++++++++++++++++++++
This document contains a description of the formulas involved in the reductions of damage by armor.
The results in this document were found by extensive testing by many players.

The armor system implemented in Regnum Online a.k.a Realms Online works on a rather haphazard
fixed damage reduction system, meaning that it always removes a fixed amount from incoming damage
and there are no percentages involved. Any percentages discussed in this document pertain only to
the calculation of armor points (AP), not actual damage reduction.

Armor parts
+++++++++++
Archers and Barbarians: Breastplate, Gauntlets, Helm, Leggings, Pauldrons, Leggings
Knights: Breastplate, Gauntlets, Helm, Leggings, Pauldrons, Leggings, Shield
Mages: Bracelet, Gloves, Hat, Tunic

1) Even though archers and barbs appear to have the same AP, they have different levels of damage
reduction due to class differences. See "Class modifiers" below.
2) The armor bonus from shields is essentially extra. See "Coefficients" below.
3) Bracelets behave exactly as shields for mages.
4) Shields and bracelets cannot be enhanced with armor gems.

Resistances
+++++++++++
For each piece of armor, it contains resistances. These are locally applied to that piece, and
affect how much points it contributes to the overall calculation of AP. For example, an item that
is "Very bad" to "Piercing" has a 60% malus, so it will contribute only 40% of its protection
to the player's defense when they are hit by a "Piercing" attack.

Code:
RESISTANCE	BONUS OR MALUS
Very bad	-60%
Bad		-30%
Normal		+0%
Good		+30%
Very good	+60%
Excellent	+90% (rarely seen, mostly only on quest items)
Coefficients
++++++++++++
This is the part of the armor system that is most confusing at first. When you equip a 200 AP item,
you don't get 200 AP in the character window, because each armor piece only contributes a certain
amount of individual AP to your overall AP level. In other words, the AP listed on each item
represents the maximum amount of AP that you can get (excluding bonuses) with an entire set of
identical items, not the amount provided by the item itself.

Code:
Archers and Warriors
ARMOR PART	CONTRIBUTION	IMPORTANCE
Breastplate	~23%		*****
Gauntlets	~16.9%		*
Helm		~21.5%		****
Leggings	~20%		***
Pauldrons	~18.4%		**

Mages
ARMOR PART	CONTRIBUTION	IMPORTANCE
Gloves		~22.6%		*
Hat		~28.6%		***
Tunic		~48.7%		*****
As was stated earlier, the bonus from shields and bracelets is extra. It is multiplied and added on
to the overall AP after the contribution of the other parts has been calculated.

Code:
ARMOR PART	BONUS
Bracelet	~26.6%
Shield		~23%
Prescaling
++++++++++
Archers and warriors have a +33% prescaling applied that gives them more AP than a mage even when
equipping items of similar AP. This prescaling also appears in the character window. To put it simply,
the maximum AP for a mage with a full 200 AP set from an NPC is ~200, or 199 exactly, while for an
archer or warrior it is (200 x 133% = 266), or 265 exactly.

(Note: The listed example for mages was created before the introduction of bracelets.)

Item bonus
++++++++++
Any item that the player equips with the stat of either "Armor bonus" or "Protection" increases their
overall AP value (not the AP provided by the item) accordingly. In other words, to equip an item with
an "Armor bonus +5%" stat on it, is like having an extra level of "Caution".

Class modifiers
+++++++++++++++
Everything discussed thus far pertains to the calculation of the characters' overall AP. However, even
once this value is calculated, and is shown in the character window, there is one additional attribute
that comes into play, that affects how much damage the player can resist.

This may seem strange, as mages have the highest class modifier, however extensive testing with fixed
damage spells against armor that is "Normal" to that type has revealed it.

Code:
CLASS		DAMAGE RESISTANCE
Archer		AP x 50%
Mage		AP x 60%
Warrior		AP x 55%
This means that mages benefit the most from raising their AP, while archers benefit the least.

Damage over time
++++++++++++++++
Periodic damage spells (DoTs, as they are commonly known) only suffer 20% of the normal damage
reduction provided by a player's armor, per interval. The amount of reduction applied to the total
damage of the spell depends on the amount of intervals (ticks) of its duration.

For example, "Lightning" lasts for exactly 5 damage intervals, and (20% x 5 = 100%), thus over time
the total damage of "Lightning" is reduced by the same amount as any other attack.

+++
Last updated Mon 26 Nov 2012
Kitsuni no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
Rising_Cold
Master

Rising_Cold is on a distinguished road

thank you very very much for posting this

its still confusing but at least im getting the larger picture of AP now
Old 11-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
Fetido
Baron

Fetido is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsunie View Post

For example, "Lightning" lasts for exactly 5 damage intervals, and (20% x 5 = 100%), thus over time
the total damage of "Lightning" is reduced by the same amount as any other attack.
This is bad, the total amount is reduced 20%.
Lightning(5)=240 per tick, so with -20% we have 204*0.8=192 per tick, and 5 tick the damege is 240*5=1200(without reduce) and 192*5=960(reduced) so the damage was reduced 960/1200=0.8 , 1-0.8=0.2, 20%! no 100%, if was 100% the total damage was 0!,
The reduction is 20% without import the amount of tick. It is an lineal operation.

pd: Sorry for my english
Old 11-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
_Enio_
Marquis

_Enio_ will become famous soon enough

shes talking about 100% of the normal reduction.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
_Kharbon_
Baron

_Kharbon_ is on a distinguished road

Very interesting information, thanks Kitsunie (and all the involved players).
WM - WM - WM - 56 - 53 - 50

_Kharbon_ no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
schachteana
Master

schachteana is on a distinguished road

hello,

that's very interesting indeed! If I may ask some things in special -
MAGE: (since mages have no prescaling)
Code:
ARMOR PART	CONTRIBUTION
Gloves		~22.6%
Hat		~28.6%
Tunic		~48.7%

ARMOR PART	BONUS
Bracelet	~26.6%
Example:
Gloves 192+0
Hat 226+0
Tunic 200+0
Bracelet 186+0

Does this mean I have
Code:
( 192*0.226 + 226*0.28 + 200*0.487 ) + 186*0.266 = 253.548
Armor points? If yes, why'd you use these braces, in other words, why should you mention shields and bracelets seperated?
How do armor points manipulate the inbound damage exactly?
Let's stick to the previous example: I have 253.548 AP (also shown in the character window) now, not having been increased by prescaling.
Let's say, all of my armor parts are "good" versus slashing damage.
So my armor points amount against slashing damage are
Code:
253.548*1.30=329.6124
, right? (not shown in the character window)
So my AP finally get increased by class modifier:
Code:
329.6124*1.60=527,37984
, right? (not shown in the character window, too)
If a barbarian with 100% slashing damage deals 1,000 damage to an unequipped me, how much damage will he make now after I put on my equip? How are armor points related to damage reduction?
You seem to know that since this can be the only way you figured out those class modifiers.
What about armor bonus points from braces (226+[BONUS])? Why didn't you mention they are being handled in some special way? I found out they do some days ago. You totally omitted that!
Anyways, your work is very much appreciated. Glad finally someone did that

Thanks so much in advance,
schachteana no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:38 AM   #7
l33t_supa_h4x90r
Apprentice

l33t_supa_h4x90r is on a distinguished road

By the way, you've double-mentioned leggings on the classes that wear them.

Thanks for the info!
l33t_supa_h4x90r no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
Kitsuni
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by schachteana View Post
hello,

that's very interesting indeed! If I may ask some things in special -
MAGE: (since mages have no prescaling)
Example:
Gloves 192+0
Hat 226+0
Tunic 200+0
Bracelet 186+0

Does this mean I have
Code:
( 192*0.226 + 226*0.28 + 200*0.487 ) + 186*0.266 = 253.548
Armor points? If yes, why'd you use these braces, in other words, why should you mention shields and bracelets seperated?
How do armor points manipulate the inbound damage exactly?
Let's stick to the previous example: I have 253.548 AP (also shown in the character window) now, not having been increased by prescaling.
Let's say, all of my armor parts are "good" versus slashing damage.
So my armor points amount against slashing damage are
Code:
253.548*1.30=329.6124
, right? (not shown in the character window)
So my AP finally get increased by class modifier:
Code:
329.6124*1.60=527,37984
, right? (not shown in the character window, too)
If a barbarian with 100% slashing damage deals 1,000 damage to an unequipped me, how much damage will he make now after I put on my equip? How are armor points related to damage reduction?
You seem to know that since this can be the only way you figured out those class modifiers.
What about armor bonus points from braces (226+[BONUS])? Why didn't you mention they are being handled in some special way? I found out they do some days ago. You totally omitted that!
Anyways, your work is very much appreciated. Glad finally someone did that

Thanks so much in advance,
1 - I'm not exactly sure what you mean here.

2 - The damage is reduced by 50/55/60% of the armor points. In other words, if you have 500 armor points, and you are a mage, you resist exactly 500*0.60=300 damage of any attack (assuming that it has a single damage type). Mixed damage types, and mixed resistances on armors make it more complicated. I did explain this in one of the sections of the document, but I guess I didn't explain it well enough.

3 - I didn't realize that I forgot to mention this, but you are right. When you see a bonus armor on an item (+amount), it is simply added onto the final AP value of the character. For example, if you have full Warmaster armor (+50 with all pieces), you gain 50 AP in your character window. This amount is not multiplied by buffs such as Caution and Evasive tactics.

You can more easily visualize some of these things on my armor calculator. It also has source code available.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
schachteana
Master

schachteana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
1 - I'm not exactly sure what you mean here.
It's ok, I figured it out now - shields and bracelets do not need to be handled in any special way. The only interesting thing is that they finally raise the AP above 100%.

Quote:
2 - The damage is reduced by 50/55/60% of the armor points. In other words, if you have 500 armor points, and you are a mage, you resist exactly 500*0.60=300 damage of any attack (assuming that it has a single damage type). Mixed damage types, and mixed resistances on armors make it more complicated. I did explain this in one of the sections of the document, but I guess I didn't explain it well enough.
ok thanks, got that.
Where did you explain what? oO I'd be really interested in the calculation of different damage types...

Quote:
3 - I didn't realize that I forgot to mention this, but you are right. When you see a bonus armor on an item (+amount), it is simply added onto the final AP value of the character. For example, if you have full Warmaster armor (+50 with all pieces), you gain 50 AP in your character window. This amount is not multiplied by buffs such as Caution and Evasive tactics.

You can more easily visualize some of these things on my armor calculator. It also has source code available.
yep ok. (I miss a prompt of the users current armor points on this calculator :< )

I do like your calculator very much!
Thanks for your help, have a nice day,

EDIT
I hope you are ok with me spamming throughout your thread... (can you say so? huh. By the way, you will have to excuse my command of english.)
But I fell over another example. Could you be so kind and tell me where I am making any mistakes, please?
Some random barbarian is being equipped with elite armor consistently (you may also click here for a picture) and has total 7% armor bonus.
He should then have about
Code:
( 226 * 1.07 * 1.33 ) + 9+10+10+9+5 = 364.62
armor points, shouldn't he?
Character log says 370.

Last edited by schachteana; 01-06-2013 at 11:49 PM.
schachteana no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #10
Kitsuni
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by schachteana View Post
NGD rounds the fractional values to whole integers at many stages during the calculations.

This can result in an off-by-one error on every possible calculation and eventually they can stack up. The values displayed in character window are also strangely rounded. This is why the armor calculator and the details from this thread cannot ever be 100% accurate, only ~98%.

For the example you gave 364.62 / 370 = 98.54% accuracy.