Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > Questions to the Community

Questions to the Community Guides and how-to play threads posted by other users

Old 12-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
JGFMK1
Apprentice

JGFMK1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good PVP setup for warrior classes & video recommendations at level 40?

I play on RA. I've played Warlock to Warmaster and each of other classes of character to 40.
Have no problem PVP with ranged attackers - mages/archer.
I stipulate level 40 PVP setups, because being an Alsius player you get given quests to kill 20 Sytris/Ignis players. I assume something similar happens in other realms.

KNIGHT
1) I really struggle with the Knight especially. Anyone got a recommended setup?
Use the following link to create a setup and save link and post reply ('save' will create unique url for setup):
http://trainer.claninquisition.org/trainer.html
PS:I know some of spells for knight have moved around in game vs trainer (feint?).

2) Any good videos on Youtube (only include ones where spells are logged so you can follow the action)?

Also. Is it just me, but protection spells for allies..... How the hell are you supposed to cast protect ally - when all your allies move around faster than you and the spell takes so long to cast - you start it and can never complete it.

I struggled with another warrior (knight?) (2 on 1) to chase down a conj - two of us attacked and it escaped. How are you supposed to dish out any damage with knight. Seems seriously underpowered and moves sluggishly.

Oh yeah. Intimidate - is broken - does nothing - (I use Macbook Pro). As i commented in game.. All a Knight seems good at is dying.... {Correction: Assumed area spell - you have to target enemy - think I was confusing with one of Barb spells that work on an area}

BARB
Same thing will apply for Barb - but may not be such an issue -
3) Config URL via trainer link.
4) Youtube videos (only include ones where spells are logged so you can follow the action)

Is there a feeling a type of weapon for
5) Knight
6) Barb
is best?

I know South Cross is effective for barb for example - having been on receiving end with my warlock... :-)

I'm comfortable with grinding warriors - but recommendations of grind vs PVP are also worth a mention:
7) Knight grind setup at level 40.
8) Barb grind setup at level 40.

Last edited by JGFMK1; 12-04-2011 at 10:11 AM.
JGFMK1 no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
Psynocide
Master

Psynocide is on a distinguished road

Knight requires a lot of discipline to remain standing long in the midst of the fray and focus on your class goals.
To skill for the auras that really make a knight a valuable asset in war, you will find you'll only get a setup you're content with at higher levels (50-60).
Also, unlike a barbarian - whose goal is to swing at whatever comes close - a knight does not have a primary goal in war, instead you need to shift focus between supporting allies and suppressing the opposition.
Doing so while also watching for when you come under fire can be quite a challenge to begin with, a barbarian or two or even a warlock that chooses to focus on you can often lead to you hitting the ground faster than you'd think.
To state the obvious, knight is a slow class if not the slowest - the tactic in open war is not to chase unless you have allies that are able to hinder opponents movement but rather to let them come to you, chasing alone will only lead to frustration and yet more threads about class imbalance in the complaint section.

As I've said previously, it's hard to see where a knight fits into the machine of war but once you get your head round the tactic of shifting focus rapidly, you'll understand.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
JGFMK1
Apprentice

Hi.
Couldn't agree more about support in PVP context.
Only battles I could win were vs other Knights solo (or with conj assist).
It's a different mind set from the other classes where they are the aggressor (you can even play a Conj this way, although range 25 constrained with Sultar's devouring mass).
But I got most of my points to complete the quests for the Knight by doing the following:
Heroic Presence:5, Onslaught:4, Shield Wall:4 and then casting them in big groups of players (glad I'm on RA!)
It's a bit like the War master Horn of Wind.
You enable others to be aggressor and get RP for it.
I also kept Army of one:5 for myself to remain standing.
It took a few reconfigurations to start to get it.
Oh yes... I finally managed to get my nemesis 'Gozan' with this setup. Something I always struggle with Warlock vs Warlock. Hehehe! So perhaps Knights aren't so bad after all!

Last edited by JGFMK1; 12-04-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:48 AM   #4
_Enio_
Marquis

_Enio_ will become famous soon enough

Well, as supportive knight id play somthing like this http://trainer.claninquisition.org/t...aasaAaazubHFFf at lvl 40, but some more lvls give you a much more comfortable configuration.

Youd want both knocks, DB, Heroic and SW and Dispell lvl5. Ao1 and PB should be in too. And MS preferably ms4 or 5.

Thats the basic tools, add dmg and more cc if possible, but for support in rvr your set with those. And never go without def stance lvl4-5 - mallows to relax.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:04 AM   #5
Kitsuni
Baron

Kitsuni is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGFMK1 View Post
KNIGHT
1) I really struggle with the Knight especially.
A Knight really needs level 50 to be effective, and even then you will only be able to be support with maybe one damage spell at level four. The important thing to remember about the Knight is not to max all powers, it may be tempting but its better to have a much more varried setup on the Knight to be able to both support and hold your own when caught alone - Conjurors do the same thing.

- Being slow is a huge burden, you will need to learn to deal with this. Fight primarily at fort wars and large group fights. You can help mitigate it by travelling with groups that use speed boosts, buying a mount, and getting Warmaster status for HoTW.

- You can catch runners by strafing the opposite of their facing direction, so you are looking at their back, but moving in the same direction. They will turn to face you in order to cast some CC spell to stop you from chasing, which you can block with PB (Precise block) if your timing is good enough. Then you can switch to spear and use Feint or Balestra, followed by a Disable limb. On level 5, a DL exceeds all personal speed buffs, and cancels out Onslaught and Horn of the wind (but not both at the same time).

- Knight is far from useless, they can be OP in their own ways. I've recently made a series of videos demonstrating the capabilities of a Knight that is skilled for a "hybrid" build at level 60 - All important support powers in level five, everything offensive or selfish (except for chance spells) at level four or lower, creating a varied yet effective support-oriented setup.

Remember, level 60 is the ultimate goal of the game and the pillar around which all classes are balanced. Have a look:
Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1sjY9TIBKI
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzXASzGfpiY
Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON4znEVHw0c

- A Knight's job isn't just to cast auras, buffs, dispel and CC. All of these are very nice things but Knights are tanks. It is important to remember this first and foremost; sometimes the best way to help allies is by putting on all your buffs and charging headlong into a strong zerg and making them all shoot at you. Use Offensive stance to make people greedy and target you as much as possible, combining it with Ao1 or switching to Def. stance carefully. Find ways to make enemies want you dead.

- Keep in mind that RA is zergy due to its high population. You will make less personal impact in group battles and grinding is very hard. It is not the best server to be playing a support class, there is too many people and many auras will be stacked already.
(These are the reasons I stopped to play anything but Hunter there.)

Last edited by Kitsunie; 12-04-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Kitsuni no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
JGFMK1
Apprentice

I would also post a footnote for Mage players. I think Knights offer the best shielding in the game. On top of that, add Onslaught is very like the warmaster Horn of the Wind to rush in/get out of trouble. For Warlock in particular, this is a godsend. But bear in mind casting all these spells uses up most of the mana a Knight has. So it would be good if the Mage classes had Mana Communion or even Synergy Bond. That way the Warlock/Knight compliment each other. Be sure to stick close to each other in battle and you will do well. I am going to re-config my warmaster Warlock to be able to offer Synergy Bond and downgrade Sadistic Servants having gained a better appreciation of the dynamics between all the classes after playing Knight. Conjurors do best concentrating on heals, Knights provide protection spells. As a footnote Archers often crave mana too, so the Synergy Bond can be of use for them too. Keep the party window open to see who needs mana... I also found more people supported my Knight than my Conj at level 40 - so I had to go the aggressor route with the Conj. When the Conj gets to a higher level I will switch....

Last edited by JGFMK1; 12-04-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
JGFMK1
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Enio_ View Post
Youd want ... Dispell lvl5.
Sorry - was that a mistake? Don't think Knight has this...
Old 12-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
Baron

71175 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGFMK1 View Post
Sorry - was that a mistake? Don't think Knight has this...
protect ally on 5 works like mage's dispel on 5 + small heal.
71175 no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
JGFMK1
Apprentice

My Level 40 Knight grind setup : http://trainer.claninquisition.org/t...eaubfaaBbnaaaa (grinding for me seemed to get better for knight at around 39-40 as armor improved significantly - upgrade asap)
My Level 40 Knight PVP setup : http://trainer.claninquisition.org/t...DauaDaaLqeaaza (Intimidate is now in Tactics & Kick is now first spell in Tactics)

Last edited by JGFMK1; 12-04-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:07 AM   #10
JGFMK1
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71175 View Post
protect ally on 5 works like mage's dispel on 5 + small heal.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Tags
barbarian, knight, level 40 setup, pvp