General discussion Topics related to various aspects of Champions of Regnum

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 01:01 PM   #171
ShadowForce
Apprentice

ShadowForce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyx View Post
The work done to the resist mechanics seems to be a success, I've gotten no more than 2 resists in a row and I've only seen 2 in a row a few times.
I agree with this, I have yet to see more than 2 resists in a row. Although I would say if resists are to stay, that 2 resists in succesion is still too many. For me though, resists should not be part of the game full stop. This brings us nicely on to your next point:

Quote:
This brings me to a much bigger question; why are resists part of the game? I get the initial answer will be because of evades, but then why evades? My understanding was it brings and element of randomness to the game, but surely that's covered by the attack damage range and players decisions on what to cast when. A typical resist rate now is ~5% so that should be 1/20 spells. That's a small enough number that some 1 v 1 fights wont have any resists at all. So why not remove them all together? Keep in spells that give resist chance and evade chance etc., but drop this layer of randomness.
Well summarised; I have always been of the opinion similar to what you have mentioned above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
The question is not removing resists or not. It is: how will the community react? What if they get angry in big numbers, even if they're wrong in reacting that way? Our job is to make everything work better but also pleasing the community, as it is what keeps the game alive. We have to be careful about this. Maybe removing resists makes the game better, but then again, it's not a question of a better game, but how it is accepted by the ones that keep it alive (leaving the unfounded complaining aside, of course).
Thanks Adrian, I can relate to this. I also appreciate that a change such as removing resists completely would have an unknown effect on player satisfaction.

I would like to address your logic above, however. There are several scenarios that could happen if you were to remove resists completey, I am going to outline four of these scenarios:

1) Resists are removed completely: All of the players who liked the random aspect of the game leave.

2) Resists are removed completely: All of the players who liked the random aspect of the game learn to like the more definitive gameplay and continue taking part in the game.

3) Resists are not removed: All of the players who dislike the random aspect of the game leave.

4) Resists are not removed: All of the players who dislike the random aspect of the game learn to put up with it and continue taking part in the game.

For me this is a pivotal update in the life of CoR, and it isn't just about what the members of the community would do if resists are removed; it's equally about what the community will feel if they are not.

If the developers are of the opinion that removing resists would create more definitive, skilled and less-frustrating gameplay but do nothing about it I don't know if this is any better.

It would be like designing, building and selling a car. Realising later on several improvements that would make it so much better, but not modifying the car for the release of the next model because: "its an alright car and some people bought that version so we wont improve it".

Last edited by ShadowForce; 04-27-2015 at 01:48 PM.
ShadowForce no ha iniciado sesión  
Old 04-27-2015, 01:33 PM   #172
Candyx
Initiate

Candyx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Fixed this and the focusing too.

The question is not removing resists or not. It is: how will the community react? What if they get angry in big numbers, even if they're wrong in reacting that way? Our job is to make everything work better but also pleasing the community, as it is what keeps the game alive. We have to be careful about this. Maybe removing resists makes the game better, but then again, it's not a question of a better game, but how it is accepted by the ones that keep it alive (leaving the unfounded complaining aside, of course).
I seriously meant no complaining, it's 100% natural to take a sideways look at a project this big and realise as you start to work on it grander changes are needed. I was really just highlighting that as something that happened, that probably should have been expected, and that probably was worthwhile (rereading I can see how you might think I'm having a go!). I would much rather NGD set an unachievably optimistic schedule and get as much progress done in the time as possible than do smaller updates with less effort!

You've toyed with in game polls in the past, I'd be interested to see some poll data on how many players want the random (unbuffed) resists. This seems to be what amun is approaching with the 'only blockable at 100%' thing, which is a great step forward IMO.

So a question to Adrian; would you remove all random (unbuffed) resists if more than 50% of users voted for it? (assuming we had a vote)

Second suggestion if resists are to be kept in the game; only allow resistance of the damage from spells, not any effects. So you can resist the damage of meteor but are still dizzy etc..
Old 04-27-2015, 01:57 PM   #173
Adrian
NGD·Studios

Adrian will become famous soon enoughAdrian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowForce View Post
If the developers are of the opinion that removing resists would create more definitive, skilled and less-frustrating gameplay but do nothing about it I don't know if this is any better.
Quote:
So a question to Adrian; would you remove all random (unbuffed) resists if more than 50% of users voted for it? (assuming we had a vote)
I would remove them if less than 5% of players voted "If you remove random (unbuffed) resists I will quit playing". And we know that's not going to happen. There's something called "exit polls" which is basically knowing the result by trend while conducting a vote. We all know that number would be higher.

I prefer baby-steps. Let's see how this goes and then we can propose new steps to be made. And remember, there are still some adjustments to be made.

Also, please note:

Quote:
This seems to be what amun is approaching with the 'only blockable at 100%' thing, which is a great step forward IMO.
This is not something new at all. This is already live, in all live servers. We added it to the tooltip, but spells are currently behaving that way. If you don't believe me, test it :P
Old 04-27-2015, 02:05 PM   #174
schachteana
Master

schachteana is on a distinguished road

I don't think natural resists are that much of a problem in Regnum, they have always been there and kind of make the gameplay more varying. It was just way too much.
I had a look at all the changes now, and not only is the resist rate more towards fair play, the recent spell changes are awesome. This will be a really good update. All the small changes that are being made. There are still 2000 useless spells around, but it's clear NGD has been working on that and is working on core problems of the game. I like that.

If you ask me, overall discipline and power points need to be decreased and something has to be done against the UM+DI combination in this update, like UM temporarily disabilng DI (and permanent animations for such spells).
Yes, warlock dmg needs to be level-dependant and armor system is unfair blah, but there is no room for it in the upcoming update
schachteana no ha iniciado sesión  
Old 04-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #175
Anunnaki
Banned

Anunnaki is on a distinguished road

- Sprint: Movement Speed changed to: 15%/20%/25%/30%/35%. Added Absolute Spell Resistance from level 3: 15%/30%/60%. Duration changed to 8/8/6/6/6. Cooldown changed to 60 sec. Mana cost changed to 100/120/140/160/180.

I think making random resist is not good idea, if u can replace it with 100% or replace it with "Resist physical damage" or something else just avoid the random resist. Or even remove this.
Anunnaki no ha iniciado sesión  
Old 04-27-2015, 02:32 PM   #176
Hollow-Ichigo
Count

Hollow-Ichigo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by schachteana View Post
I don't think natural resists are that much of a problem in Regnum, they have always been there and kind of make the gameplay more varying. It was just way too much.
I had a look at all the changes now, and not only is the resist rate more towards fair play, the recent spell changes are awesome. This will be a really good update. All the small changes that are being made. There are still 2000 useless spells around, but it's clear NGD has been working on that and is working on core problems of the game. I like that.

If you ask me, overall discipline and power points need to be decreased and something has to be done against the UM+DI combination in this update, like UM temporarily disabilng DI (and permanent animations for such spells).
Yes, warlock dmg needs to be level-dependant and armor system is unfair blah, but there is no room for it in the upcoming update

So you want to make more useful spells, while also decreasing DP and PPs? Makes 0 sense. Leave DP and PPs as they are. Make more useful spells, then decide if there should be an increase or decrease.

-Drew
Old 04-27-2015, 02:34 PM   #177
Hollow-Ichigo
Count

Hollow-Ichigo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I would remove them if less than 5% of players voted "If you remove random (unbuffed) resists I will quit playing". And we know that's not going to happen. There's something called "exit polls" which is basically knowing the result by trend while conducting a vote. We all know that number would be higher.

I prefer baby-steps. Let's see how this goes and then we can propose new steps to be made. And remember, there are still some adjustments to be made.
Since you are in this thread, I must ask. When are archers going to be able to fuse WM bows, and when is retal going to be fixed? You guys have nerfed retal, but it still doesn't work against like half of barb spells (barbs will cast spirit blow. Archer gets full damage and retal is gone), some lock, IIRC, and goes away after an evade.

Also, I forgot to mention. What is with the Point Shot update?
"Point Shot: Hit Chance changed to: 130%/140%/150%/160%/180%. Added Attack Range: -30%/-25%/-20%/-10%/-0%."

Is this written wrong, or is it really the higher you make the spell, the less range that is taken away? This will just encourage more pew-pew marks.

-Drew
Old 04-27-2015, 02:46 PM   #178
Sentan
Master

Sentan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anukai View Post
- Sprint: Movement Speed changed to: 15%/20%/25%/30%/35%. Added Absolute Spell Resistance from level 3: 15%/30%/60%. Duration changed to 8/8/6/6/6. Cooldown changed to 60 sec. Mana cost changed to 100/120/140/160/180.

I think making random resist is not good idea, if u can replace it with 100% or replace it with "Resist physical damage" or something else just avoid the random resist. Or even remove this.
I agree. Another annoying spell like UM (still 90% haha). Instead of absolute spell resistance add something new... for example: movement slowing effects are reduced by 50% or dispels (self) immobilize (pricking ivy, twister, mass prickling ivy, grounding arrow, balestra, ribs breaker) and slow debuffs (slow, hinder, ensnaring arrow, caltrop's arrow, disable limb, mind push, lightning arrow).
Old 04-27-2015, 02:58 PM   #179
Iheartpancakes
Banned

Iheartpancakes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentan View Post
add something new... for example: movement slowing effects are reduced by 50% or dispels (self) immobilize (pricking ivy, twister, mass prickling ivy, grounding arrow, balestra, ribs breaker) and slow debuffs (slow, hinder, ensnaring arrow, caltrop's arrow, disable limb, mind push, lightning arrow).
I will destroy you irl if you suggest nerfing slow any further against barbs.
Iheartpancakes no ha iniciado sesión  
Old 04-27-2015, 03:32 PM   #180
-Aniara-
Initiate

-Aniara- is on a distinguished road
Default why some random need to stay

game mechanic reasons

1. It prevents that first spell cast = auto win.

2. It prevents spell chains prg to macros.

opinion based reasons

1. Having a second plan for when things go wrong makes the game more interesting.

2. Any kind of war/fight has a random part to it, if you cant stand any random element play chess.

That said i like the new update.

/A
Closed Thread