Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > Technical Support

Technical Support Questions about game technical support to the users of the community

Old 12-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #11
SPARTISH
Initiate

SPARTISH is on a distinguished road

Its not internet conection cos mines always been the same n over two years my ping has gone from high def masive wars with 30 ping to my curent low def tiney war with 5 ping. Dont mind 5 ping but now its droping lower and I cannot play if it drops past 4 ping.

Some1 told me its ma graphics card so I gues the more ngd updates graphics the les playable it is 4 me. Funny thing is ma new comp has awsome ping but it shows mobs in ful white n both friendly units n enemy units are ful blak with no names 0_o.

And why do I lag much more on horus than ra, inst the oposite thing ment to happen?

O yeah I see no diference in opengl ting or the other one, some1 enlighten me?
Old 12-08-2009, 02:31 AM   #12
Arafails
Baron

Arafails will become famous soon enough

Actually I think a fair amount of it is to do with internet connections (not necessarily ping related, but the amount of data throughput required). My computer is above the recommend specs for the game, and I get similar problems. What I notice is that when player models are visible on screen, especially from other realms, a lot more bandwidth seems to be being used than at other times. It's possible if this is dynamic resource updates that the renderer is spending time waiting for data (and also spending time uploading new data eg. textures to graphics memory, even though it might not need to). The new engine does help a lot with this (but the shader pipelines remain horrendously slow).
Old 12-08-2009, 12:33 PM   #13
Jennifer
Pledge

Jennifer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQWEQWEQEQWEE View Post
whats the difference with open gl? and direct thing?
The core of Microsoft DirectX is a set of machine instructions that are commonly used in graphical programming. Whereas OpenGL would execute instructions to produce certain grapics on the CPU, DirectX utilises hardware on DirectX-compatible graphics cards that is specifically designed to execute DirectX instructions. That means your processor is free to do other things. For this reason I find it difficult to understand how the current release of Regnum performs better using OpenGL. Even if the programmers don't use DirectX, by logic it should perform at least as well but it doesn't. However, the new engine seems to perform equally well no matter what you use. Apologies for not editing my post: I can switch to DirectX or OpenGL, but if I select a shader model my FPS drop so dramatically I have to switch to fixed pipeline. Everything is fine, but I can't see any premium paints. That's a bit annoying.

Looks like the current game is entirely OpenGL-based and they're trying to get savvy with DirectX to improve performance under Windows and, at the moment, failing. I'm sure everything will be fixed soon enough though.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #14
ieti
Count

ieti is on a distinguished road

Both DirectX and OpenGL utilize GPU and free CPU from graphic calculations. It is just different libraries. DirectX is Windows only because it was brought by Microsoft and enhanced for their needs. OpenGL is multiplatform standart and exists on all OS.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:46 AM   #15
Herakles
Apprentice

Herakles is on a distinguished road

ok thanks!
Herakles no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:15 AM   #16
Daeos
Apprentice

Daeos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
The core of Microsoft DirectX is a set of machine instructions that are commonly used in graphical programming. Whereas OpenGL would execute instructions to produce certain grapics on the CPU, DirectX utilises hardware on DirectX-compatible graphics cards that is specifically designed to execute DirectX instructions. That means your processor is free to do other things. For this reason I find it difficult to understand how the current release of Regnum performs better using OpenGL. Even if the programmers don't use DirectX, by logic it should perform at least as well but it doesn't. However, the new engine seems to perform equally well no matter what you use. Apologies for not editing my post: I can switch to DirectX or OpenGL, but if I select a shader model my FPS drop so dramatically I have to switch to fixed pipeline. Everything is fine, but I can't see any premium paints. That's a bit annoying.

Looks like the current game is entirely OpenGL-based and they're trying to get savvy with DirectX to improve performance under Windows and, at the moment, failing. I'm sure everything will be fixed soon enough though.
So you would recommend OpenGL for current engine? I run a 4650HD and have some problems with loading areas when walking around... any chance its just to do with DirectX ? I tried OpenGL for a short while and noticed a bigger performance hit over DirectX just by rotating the camera to look around.
Daeos no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #17
Jennifer
Pledge

Jennifer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeos View Post
So you would recommend OpenGL for current engine? I run a 4650HD and have some problems with loading areas when walking around... any chance its just to do with DirectX ? I tried OpenGL for a short while and noticed a bigger performance hit over DirectX just by rotating the camera to look around.
For the current engine yes, certainly OpenGL performs best for me no matter which OS or graphics settings I choose. (Tested on Windows XP, Vista, 7 and Ubuntu versions from 7.10 to 9.10).

With the new engine it doesn't seem to matter what I choose. Using the fixed pipeline option I get decent FPS and almost no lag whatsoever, but I can't see any paints. If I choose a shader model - FPS drop, super lag, plain bad - I can see paints. If the shaders are implemented properly, all will be well. Brilliant even.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:46 AM   #18
Daeos
Apprentice

Daeos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
For the current engine yes, certainly OpenGL performs best for me no matter which OS or graphics settings I choose. (Tested on Windows XP, Vista, 7 and Ubuntu versions from 7.10 to 9.10).

With the new engine it doesn't seem to matter what I choose. Using the fixed pipeline option I get decent FPS and almost no lag whatsoever, but I can't see any paints. If I choose a shader model - FPS drop, super lag, plain bad - I can see paints. If the shaders are implemented properly, all will be well. Brilliant even.

Thats good to hear, I'm not holding my breath for the new engine, however, I've had some issues with Shader 3 in another game I hope I won't have them here if thats what we are looking at. Dawntide (in beta) uses Shader 3 and I get about 17 to 25 FPS in high poly count and 30 in low poly count.
Daeos no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:09 PM   #19
impp
Initiate

impp is on a distinguished road

There is a bug in the new client, that was not in the experimental client.

Before the roll out I was getting 30-40 FPS on DirectX on the experimental client with nearly all the graphics settings maxed.

Now the autodetect feature is locking out all my extended settings and I am getting 3-4FPS, and jumpy animations on the spell graphics.

I have to run in OpenGL or safe mode now to get any performance at all.

Sorry for posting in all areas but I don't see any recognition of this issue anywhere else....
impp no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote