Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > The Inn

The Inn A place to gather around and chat about almost any subject

Old 03-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #11
standistortion
Master

standistortion is on a distinguished road

Nice one, thanks a lot The price is going crazy atm and I just got out of bed so working out what 40 euros equals as of 4.16 am hurts. Sent you 1 BTC, I'm still getting a bargain at that and I appreciate the help with it.

Transaction can be verified here:
https://blockchain.info/address/19Bd...XriQLzNE8X2W7U

Think we're both fairly trusted members of the forum so it was safe enough this time but if anyone wants to do the same and isn't so sure I'll offer to do escrow on transactions or you could use bitmit (similar to ebay for bitcoin).
https://www.bitmit.net/en/recent
standistortion no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
Awrath
Master

Awrath is on a distinguished road

Hey, glad you received it, but isn't 1 BTC a bit much? Based on the website I used to convert anyway! As I say I am completely new to this bitcoin business.

Let me know if you would like more Ximerin later on to compensate, or I could send some BTC back in your direction.

While on the topic, is there any advantage to using a web-based wallet or a software solution? What happens if my hard drive dies, i.e. can the wallet be backed up? I suppose I need to do some googling when I get home!
Awrath no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
standistortion
Master

Atm 1btc is about 75 euro so its nearly double, when I made this thread 1btc was about 20 euro so that's half. I got most of mine when they where around 10 so we're both getting a good deal

Web wallets are useful, I'd recommend the ones on blockchain.info as they have a good reputation and they have an android app that links directly to them plus the site is a great service but there are plenty of others available. Online wallets are convenient but they're also a vulnerability as the site could be hacked or the owner run off with all the coins so it's safer not to trust them with large amounts.

There isn't really much need for a desktop client but most folks use one anyway, its much like using a desktop email client instead of going to the website. The default client (bitcoind/bitcoin-qt) needs the entire blockchain and that can take days to get up to date and it's a lacking in features compared to other clients but running it adds to network security. Armory is a good toughened client with plenty of extras and multibit is a nice lightweight clients with good features. The android client (bitcoin-wallet) uses the same system as multibit and is very useful. Desktop clients leave your funds vulnerable to hacks and malicious software so shouldn't be trusted with large amounts without proper security measures.

Offline wallets are the safe option for storage. The easy way to set these up is to install a client on a spare PC and permanently disconnect it from all networks. If your using a client like Armory offline any number of wallets can be managed and coins sent to those wallets are safe. I usually write down the private key from those wallets (paper wallet) when I make them and use them with the online desktop client (or burn the wallet file onto a CD) to get funds out and transfer the remainder to a new offline wallet. Some use USB keys but there's a slight security risk in doing that and a bit of paranoia's not a bad thing when the savings are worth a lot more than the PC they're stored on.

Sorry if that's a bit hard to understand, I've been learning about this for months and its still hard to define what bitcoin actually is (payment system, currency, commodity, protocol??). The bitcointalk forum has answers to just about any question imaginable but the search function sucks (including "bitcointalk" in a google search works much better) and its full of trolls and drama queens. No problem if you've more questions, I'll try and answer anything I can or point to some accurate info.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
Awrath
Master

Awrath is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by standistortion View Post
Thanks, that answers some of my questions! I'll definitely do some more research on it once I get home, might take a while to get my head around it.
Awrath no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #15
standistortion
Master

Good luck with it I remember when I first looked into it and saw all the evangelists and folks who'd started to dedicate their lives to it and thought "omg, freaky people, its only a bit of software" and then I saw the implications...

Its a fascinating system that could revolutionize online trade and its incredibly tough but it also steps hard on the toes of some of the worlds most powerful people and organizations and its unlikely that will go unchallenged. As the saying goes, "don't invest more than you can afford to lose"
Old 04-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #16
standistortion
Master

Sorry for mentioning Bitcoin so much, I'd guess its getting close to spam at this stage so np with removal.

Nothing about xim but a short video on Argentina and Bitcoin, fairly boring but the makers are looking for feedback so posted it just in case:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e__m-w4N7NI
Old 09-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #17
standistortion
Master

Game developer Bigpoint accepting bitcoin, I've no idea who bigpoint are but the article claims they have 330 million users:
http://www.coindesk.com/online-game-...virtual-goods/
Old 09-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #18
Adrian
NGD·Studios

Adrian will become famous soon enoughAdrian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Sorry for mentioning Bitcoin so much, I'd guess its getting close to spam at this stage so np with removal.

Nothing about xim but a short video on Argentina and Bitcoin, fairly boring but the makers are looking for feedback so posted it just in case:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e__m-w4N7NI
Yeah, our currency is weak due to a foreign currency called dollar and the people's belief in its security more than our own currency. That caused problems? Well, let's solve it by praising another new foreign currency!

Argentina doesn't need a new currency (and specially not one that can't be controlled by the locals) but belief in its own currency. Yeah, Bitcoin is not State-controlled and that's why it's dangerous. States can block it, can do whatever they want to avoid its use. Why? Because they need to control the currency. Look at what happens in Europe: The Euro is controlled by the big economies and small economies such as Greece, Portugal and Spain suffer because they can't control their currency. We can always see the good part of a "new system" but we tend to fail at remembering which parts of the "old system" are the ones we like and live with peacefully. Do we check if we can lose them in the long term with the changes we want to make?

Of course, Bitcoin is an anarchist and individual empowerment currency, but we will always be human beings. There will always be greed and speculation. And of course, power. In this case, Bitcoin relies a lot in knowledge and technical expertise.

But going back to the video: the only alternative, if you live in a country and you're willing to continue living in it with its customs, its way of life, is to focus on the root of the problem. Macro-economical problems are mostly originated from the disbelief of the people. We should all work on that and governments should focus on making us not only believe, but understand it is sure to do so.

Bitcoin is not for this era of the human nature.
Adrian no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #19
Adrian
NGD·Studios

Adrian will become famous soon enoughAdrian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Game developer Bigpoint accepting bitcoin, I've no idea who bigpoint are but the article claims they have 330 million users:
http://www.coindesk.com/online-game-...virtual-goods/
Money needs to be used. Do you think that we could become, given our time and manpower restrictions, experts in its handling just to receive a minimum amount of payments? I think you know the answer
Adrian no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #20
standistortion
Master

Accepting bitcoin has caused a lot of problems for some companies from both hackers, bots etc. and parts of the conventional financial infrastructure. There's plenty of payment processors to make accepting bitcoin simple but those unforeseen hazards add a lot of risk. It's fairly obvious just from the few threads I've put up that there isn't a whole lot of interest in bitcoin here, thanks for replying though

Your first point is an interesting view. Here in europe confidence in both banking and government spending is very low and its easy to forget that economics are a powerful tool to guide states for everyone benefit. That seems to have gone wrong here though, central banks are working in their own interest often with the states they're supposed to serve as the victim.

Most folks are unaware that almost all the worlds central banks are private companies, they aren't owned by the state but are instead controlled by a small number of private investors. A very small number of countries have sovereign (state owned) central banks, Syria has, Libya had until rebels removed it.

That's getting close to conspiracy theory type stuff but its my main reason for supporting Bitcoin. Sovereign central banks will work for the benefit of their countries but they're being removed and replaced with central banks controlled by the same small group worldwide. Bitcoin isn't a solution to that problem, greed will still dominate and history makes it clear that a fixed amount of currency will end up in the hands of a very small number leaving the rest of the population with almost nothing, but it has the potential to break the strangle hold of the current system.

Going to stop before I get into a rant on interest rates and dollar dominance, one last point though: Bitcoin also gives a kick up the arse to the antiquated money system. We live in a world of instant and efficient global communications but banking hasn't kept up, money transfers can take days and can cost anything up to 10-15%. Bitcoin and systems like it make sending funds as quick and cheap as sending emails and allow full integration between economics and networks and if banking (private or sovereign) wants to survive it will be forced to keep up.

Sorry for the long post, tried to keep it brief but its an almost endless subject. Thanks for replying and best wishes to Argentina.