yes azakcry
jk sorry i couldnt resist
Old 01-15-2008, 06:42 AM   #502
craiyzee
Initiate

craiyzee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xephandor
True, you're right. Piz, wait until I can reach my magnum .45 and then you'll respect me!

Nah, joke...

This code is driving me insane, but that's my fault...
So,what will this code ultimatly do?

haha Brad... I get it
Old 01-15-2008, 07:03 AM   #503
ArcticWolf
Duke

ArcticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightArcticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightArcticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightArcticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightArcticWolf is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiyzee
So,what will this code ultimatly do?

haha Brad... I get it
Almost the same than the previous version of rolgps (http://rolgps.sourceforge.net), which is an NPC locator. The core differences are that now it's slower, heavier and less human readable... Joke

/* Begin of techie explanation */

Now being serious, it's meant to be a database for all the NPC's, Quests and Important places on the Map. This version will include a map if NGD allows us to use their material (and if we don't infringe any policy on the GNU/GPL licence), and you will be able to upload not only the databases, but the client automatically with just one click.

Hmm... Just as an example, the new NPC database contains more than 8000 lines with data. The new app is able to handle unexpected modifications on the file. The new database is just one of the Cool® Things® it will have.... If we ever finish this

PS: It took more or less a month to write the first version of Rolgps... Let's see if I can beat the record.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:09 AM   #504
craiyzee
Initiate

Quote:
Almost the same than the previous version of rolgps (http://rolgps.sourceforge.net), which is an NPC locator. The core differences are that now it's slower, heavier and less human readable... Joke

/* Begin of techie explanation */

Now being serious, it's meant to be a database for all the NPC's, Quests and Important places on the Map. This version will include a map if NGD allows us to use their material (and if we don't infringe any policy on the GNU/GPL licence), and you will be able to upload not only the databases, but the client automatically with just one click.

Hmm... Just as an example, the new NPC database contains more than 8000 lines with data. The new app is able to handle unexpected modifications on the file. The new database is just one of the Cool® Things® it will have.... If we ever finish this

PS: It took more or less a month to write the first version of Rolgps... Let's see if I can beat the record.
Wow, so your pretty much doing that whole, 'smart thing' that you tend to do.

It sounds really good, like it could be really... helpful.
Who else is doing it?
Old 01-15-2008, 07:12 AM   #505
ArcticWolf
Duke

ArcticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightArcticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightArcticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightArcticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightArcticWolf is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Wow, so your pretty much doing that whole, 'smart thing' that you tend to do.

It sounds really good, like it could be really... helpful.
Who else is doing it?
ATM nobody, because Sunos and Arlick need the core to do the Graphical User Interface (the thing full of buttons) to finish... So I'm pretty much delaying the new version if I don't figure out a way to make it faster

It took 6 seconds to read, parse, search and process more than 8000 lines, which is unacceptable for us.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:19 AM   #506
craiyzee
Initiate

Quote:
ATM nobody, because Sunos and Arlick need the core to do the Graphical User Interface (the thing full of buttons) to finish... So I'm pretty much delaying the new version if I don't figure out a way to make it faster

It took 6 seconds to read, parse, search and process more than 8000 lines, which is unacceptable for us.

6 seconds is unnacceptable??? woaaaaaah....

tough. I guess thats kinda like a laggy thing?
Old 01-15-2008, 07:33 AM   #507
ArcticWolf
Duke

Quote:
6 seconds is unnacceptable??? woaaaaaah....

tough. I guess thats kinda like a laggy thing?
Well, imagine this: you want to search for an npc, so you type the name and then you click on the search button... It will take six seconds until the results show up on a list, and it will take the parser another secons when you click on the list object. It's almost 10 seconds if you're fast, just to get the npc location (X, Z, and a nice point drawn at the map)...

The explanation is kind of easy. The file works as an index of a book... It opens the 'book', reads and counts how many chapters there are, closes the book, opens it again, counts the number of sections on every chapter, then closes the book and so on until you get the actual data... And I can't change that without re-coding all the program (anyway, I'm going to do it). It's almost as 6 times more processing effort than the previous version...

Anyway, I'm enjoyng this
Old 01-15-2008, 07:40 AM   #508
craiyzee
Initiate

Quote:
Well, imagine this: you want to search for an npc, so you type the name and then you click on the search button... It will take six seconds until the results show up on a list, and it will take the parser another secons when you click on the list object. It's almost 10 seconds if you're fast, just to get the npc location (X, Z, and a nice point drawn at the map)...

The explanation is kind of easy. The file works as an index of a book... It opens the 'book', reads and counts how many chapters there are, closes the book, opens it again, counts the number of sections on every chapter, then closes the book and so on until you get the actual data... And I can't change that without re-coding all the program (anyway, I'm going to do it). It's almost as 6 times more processing effort than the previous version...

Anyway, I'm enjoyng this
I suppose for some people that could see mfrustrating and slow

Yeah, I get that explanation....
See, I'm getting better at understanding you!!!!

I'm glad your enjoying it
Old 01-15-2008, 07:49 AM   #509
ArcticWolf
Duke

Quote:
I suppose for some people that could see mfrustrating and slow

Yeah, I get that explanation....
See, I'm getting better at understanding you!!!!

I'm glad your enjoying it
Frustration for a user is a failure to me, and I can't stand that :S

Hehe, I think I'm starting to be a little bit boring with this topic... We're talking about something not even I know how to get it to work properly DDD

At least this proves I still can think
Old 01-15-2008, 07:52 AM   #510
craiyzee
Initiate

Quote:
Frustration for a user is a failure to me, and I can't stand that :S

Hehe, I think I'm starting to be a little bit boring with this topic... We're talking about something not even I know how to get it to work properly DDD

At least this proves I still can think
Yeah, I suppose you have to please even the pickiest of people!

its okay, I don't mind talking about something your interested in....
and yeah, its a good time to prove to everyone that you can have a brain left over after talking to me...