Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > Questions to the Community

Questions to the Community Guides and how-to play threads posted by other users

Old 04-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Archefiend
Pledge

Archefiend is on a distinguished road
Default Whats my role?

As we all know, all 3 main classes are supposed to be divided in 6 subclasses, and each subclass is the opposite of the other.
Like:
Knights(Defense, support)
Barbarian(Offense, max close combat dmg)
Warlock(Huge area offense, DoTs for warriors)
Conjurer(Heals, Buffs, Mana, etc.)
Marksman(Offense from distance,suppress fire(You dont rush marx, do you?))
AND
Hunter(mysterious x?)

Only spells, which you could call supportive from hunter side is tracking and stalker surroundings(Most often used spell on allies, yeah). In such, It almost seems like hunter isn't intended for RvR, but PvP. These new(old?!) changes with pets in Amun they are testing now makes me believe even more, that hunters are PvP class.

I like this game because its RvR. Although battles arent that big as they were, it's one of those unique games, where you can wage war with massive battles, and thats, why most of us play, but I feel that hunters have too less impact on the wars.

This isn't whining thread. No talking about "Hunters are broken""You lie, hunters kill me all the time" etc.
What I want to ask to all of you is this- How do you see hunter? As pvp or as "special support" class? Or maybe something else? Also, I want to hear this from EVERY class perspective. Not only hunters, but active barbs, conjurers, knights etc.
Archefiend no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
Baron

71175 is on a distinguished road

Since i am disappointed in RvR aspect of Horus, i mainly use my classes for hunts. So by my purely subjective opinion NGD just copypasted this class from another MMO without thinking if it fits the game.
71175 no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Quincebo
Baron

Quincebo is on a distinguished road

Hunters are pro in camo'ing in forts who just been taken by an enemy realm, and take it so these poor enemies must fight npc's again
Old 04-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
SilverHaven
Initiate

SilverHaven is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincebo View Post
Hunters are pro in camo'ing in forts who just been taken by an enemy realm, and take it so these poor enemies must fight npc's again
lol big +1 here
SilverHaven no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
Freeverse
Initiate

Freeverse is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archefiend View Post
What I want to ask to all of you is this- How do you see hunter? As pvp or as "special support" class?
It is both.
A PvP-class, which can kill other hunters, from time to time marks, conjus with healing-setup and grinders.

It is also a support class. The hunters support-skill is called "Enemy Surveillence"
How often do you read in the chat-window: "track pls", "Any tracks?","x?" etc.?

That's actually what hunters are for in RvR. For tracking ...
Freeverse no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
Seher
Count

Seher is on a distinguished road

And yet another player seeing the real problem with hunters while NGD still doesn’t.

My thoughts: Hunters need a role, something unique. You can ramble about stuff here and throw in tons of ideas, but I’ll just follow the original pattern, the one you’ve already mentioned:

Barbarians: Offense.
Knights: Defense (primarily), support.
Warlocks: Offense.
Conjurers: Defense (well a LOT more defense than warlocks at least!), support (primarily).
Marksmen: Offense.
Hunters: Defense, support? Not now, for sure. What do we need to get there, is this even possible to achieve?
Is support possible? I don’t think so. A class that’s primarily focused on support needs to have something to cast at least every 5 seconds. There’s no way you can do that with camo stuff or tracking (lolololol). It might be possible with including a completely new area of spells, but that’s not what I’m after. I want to stick as close as possible to NGDs’ original plan.

Right now marksmen have a lot of defense. You can argue here that range already is some kind of defense, so they shouldn’t have more of it, but that would dumb down that class even more to stupid hit & run and effectively take away one part of marksmen gameplay (and give it to hunters). But it is one way to go, and all in all definitely better than what we’ve got now! Marksmen staying behind because they’d die otherwise, and hunters getting the defense so that they can survive in front of their army.

Is there a way to not take away one part of marksmen? Yes! Just make hunters more close range, and the main criterion to differ marksmen and hunters isn’t offensive/defensive, it’s high range/low range. This would solve soo many problems. Anyway, here’s my thread about this, feel free to take my idea apart, I’d love to improve it.
http://regnumonlinegame.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=76831

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeverse View Post
Poorest. Role. Ever.

DISCORD!
Seher no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #7
Archefiend
Pledge

Archefiend is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeverse View Post
It is both.
A PvP-class, which can kill other hunters, from time to time marks, conjus with healing-setup and grinders.

It is also a support class. The hunters support-skill is called "Enemy Surveillence"
How often do you read in the chat-window: "track pls", "Any tracks?","x?" etc.?

Im syrtian, we dont have problems with tracking.
Also you need some RO experience , to be a good tracker(I still fail at this sometimes ). 230m nw from aggers will mean nothing to newbie. Need to learn all the shortenings, so you could report efficiently. And need skills in fast typing. (I often get in situation when I write "acas 140m n" and acas are already here.) So track isn't a pure support skill(you have to think every time you receive data), it cant even give accurate information! (Rocks, tada!)
I also bolded something important you mentioned, makes me think. Thank you for your opinion.
Archefiend no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:03 AM   #8
Tenel_Ka
Initiate

Tenel_Ka is on a distinguished road

The role of hunter shouldn't just be limited to the "defense/offense" categories we have for some reason.

Hunters are responsible for leading smaller groups through enemy warzones and protecting its own realm's warzone by tracking down enemy hunting groups. They can stalker allies for surprise attacks, or to protect them from a larger force. In RvR, if used tactfully, hunters can monitor the movement of enemy war groups and recapture forts from the inside so their allies can rush inside. They can stalker allies in and out of heavily protected places, such as realm gates and cities. In field fights and fort fights (which are usually closer to the save than fort) they can stalker a group and kill healers at the back, and their spells like death sentence are great in a war group mainly comprised of warriors.

They're the most independent class and the safest in the warzone. It's difficult to catch a hunter off guard if he's paying attention and tracking regularly. In PvP, they CAN beat players of any other class. Their damage in group fights needs help, something like Head of the Pack but not as powerful, but I don't want to go into discussing balance as everyone has their own opinion.

I'm sure there are other uses for hunters, these are just what I could think of in 10 minutes. The role of hunter is only restricted by the creativity of players. The class has a lot of potential and can be great in RvR and PvP if their skills are effectively used.

E V E R L A S T I N G
Adrestia ~ Kellie ~ Deionarra
Tenel_Ka no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:08 AM   #9
Immune
Master

Immune is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenel_Ka View Post
The role of hunter is only restricted by the creativity of players.
So much this. The defining aspect of hunters is their independence. You get to choose who to attack, when to attack them, and where to attack from. The one thing you really want/need to be able to do as a hunter is predict the reactions of those around you (both friend and foe). To put it in a way that it fits with the lists above, I would label hunters as "Independent support / Interference"

Alone - Hunter can stall reinforcements to forts very well. They are built as a pvp class, but blocking bridges has always been a part of RvR. There's also the "hiding inside enemy forts to capture them" bit, although level 4 forts kind of throws that out the window. You can still kill people who run in with 100hp to rest though; which will often draw some attention away from your allies (assuming they're nearby).

Small Groups - Stalker rushes can work wonders; the only problem is getting other people to go along with it. Their burst damage can easily cause mages to panic and/or force other classes to try to stop you, which often gives your allies a chance to do something. Even just setting your pet on a mage can make them feel forced to run around and make mistakes.

Large Groups - Going camo and attacking people in a zerg from behind may be suicidal, but really it can take them a long time to realize you're there. Being able to CC whoever you want in the back can cause the group to split somewhat. You can also buff your pet with skin of the beast and use it as a distraction; this works particularly well if you have an obnoxiously large pet like the troll of war.

Closing note: The lack of role for a hunter is actually a freedom, in a way. Hunters act as they see fit depending on the situation, whereas all the other classes have some degree of expectations. Of course, I'm not saying they're perfect; obviously there are a plethora of ways they could be improved. I'm just saying, they're not useless.

Last edited by Immune; 04-06-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Immune no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #10
VeterKh
Master

VeterKh is an unknown quantity at this point

your role - gank grinders.