Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > Technical Support > Linux

Linux Technical issues under Linux platform

Old 09-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
e30G
Count

e30G will become famous soon enough
Default TMP Free Space During Install?

Hello,

I'm trying to reinstall the game on my Linux partition, however I keep running out of space on my tmp folder. I currently have 4GB left there but the drive I want to install the game to has 19GB remaining. I also tried installing it on another drive with several hundred GBs remaining but it keeps filling up my cache/tmp before the installer runs.

Is there a way to run the installer while using a different folder for temporary files?

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
Slartibartfast
Master

Slartibartfast is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30ernest View Post
Hello,

I'm trying to reinstall the game on my Linux partition, however I keep running out of space on my tmp folder. I currently have 4GB left there but the drive I want to install the game to has 19GB remaining. I also tried installing it on another drive with several hundred GBs remaining but it keeps filling up my cache/tmp before the installer runs.

Is there a way to run the installer while using a different folder for temporary files?

Thanks!
I don't know if install has hardcoded /tmp or it uses enviroment settings. Anyway, try temporarily changing your tmp directory location: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...t-tmp-location
Old 09-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
Loque
Master

Loque is on a distinguished road

Welcome back Galynn, technically that shouldn't happen, 4GB is more than enough to get it going, my suspect is a corrupted installation medium, have you tried redownloading the newest version available or are you trying the install with some old copy? Either way, try the above suggestion. I have my doubts though. Good luck.

Edit: It might also help if you mention what distro, version and such.
Loque no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
-Zed-
Banned

-Zed- is on a distinguished road
Wink

Like stated above, a fresh installer might just do it. If it still doesnt try to reinstall the game and delete all the previous files in folder C:/Program Files etc etc whatsoever (i.e. where old files were stored) and run the installer again. hope it gets solved for you and

Welcome Back
-Zed- no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
e30G
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irsh View Post
Welcome back Galynn, technically that shouldn't happen, 4GB is more than enough to get it going, my suspect is a corrupted installation medium, have you tried redownloading the newest version available or are you trying the install with some old copy? Either way, try the above suggestion. I have my doubts though. Good luck.

Edit: It might also help if you mention what distro, version and such.
Thanks! This file was downloaded off the torrent from NGD's site about a month and a half ago. I'll try to re-download the installer from the website and see if that works.

I found it strange how the installer ate up 4GB while extracting the installation files. You may be right about it being corrupt.

I'm looking forward to trying the new balance update.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
godismyjudge
Initiate

godismyjudge is on a distinguished road

My advise: don't install it from installer. Just download the launcher, put into any directory and run it. Launcher itself will download everything needed. This will also help you save some bandwidth, because you won't download 'old' resources with installer which will be then replaced by an update.
godismyjudge no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
e30G
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_26m8j65892lz0895 View Post
My advise: don't install it from installer. Just download the launcher, put into any directory and run it. Launcher itself will download everything needed. This will also help you save some bandwidth, because you won't download 'old' resources with installer which will be then replaced by an update.

Thanks! That worked.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
Adrian
NGD·Studios

Adrian will become famous soon enoughAdrian will become famous soon enough

Welcome back, Galynn!

The game's sdbs are around 4.2 GB so that might be your problem. Yes, downloading the launcher as you've been told and setting up "download all resources at once" can be a solution.

Nowadays, having only 4 GB for /tmp is not a good choice for a gaming PC.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #9
andres81
Count

andres81 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
Welcome back, Galynn!

The game's sdbs are around 4.2 GB so that might be your problem. Yes, downloading the launcher as you've been told and setting up "download all resources at once" can be a solution.

Nowadays, having only 4 GB for /tmp is not a good choice for a gaming PC.
I disagree on that, 4GB for /tmp is more than the recommended and usual sizes.
/tmp is meant as an temporarly storage for application data such as lockfiles, current configuration and such stuff and normal apllications are using just a few kB up to some MB for that.
/tmp is not the place to extract 4,2GB of data at once!

I have like 20 linux games here and several large applications using more than 5GB of disk space. Regnum is the only one that extracts its installation sources to /tmp. This is an absolut incorrect behaviour and causes problems in many systems. Default sizes for /tmp are usually around 2GB.

many modern Linux distributions don't even have a physical /tmp directory, they are using tmpfs instead of it. This means that everything what is stored in /tmp is just written in the memory (RAM) and not to the harddisc. Good luck with storing 4,2GB in the RAM to install Regnum.
@NGD: you should really reconsider this installation procedure.
andres81 no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
Adrian
NGD·Studios

Adrian will become famous soon enoughAdrian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by andres81 View Post
I disagree on that, 4GB for /tmp is more than the recommended and usual sizes.
/tmp is meant as an temporarly storage for application data such as lockfiles, current configuration and such stuff and normal apllications are using just a few kB up to some MB for that.
/tmp is not the place to extract 4,2GB of data at once!

I have like 20 linux games here and several large applications using more than 5GB of disk space. Regnum is the only one that extracts its installation sources to /tmp. This is an absolut incorrect behaviour and causes problems in many systems. Default sizes for /tmp are usually around 2GB.
We are poor and can only use non-licensed cross-platform installers