Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > The Inn

The Inn A place to gather around and chat about almost any subject

Old 05-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
makarios68
Count

makarios68 will become famous soon enough
Default equal gear vs imbalanced gear

Was wondering what people think of the potential imbalance between those who have good gear and those who don't.

Gear doesn't matter much (skill is more important)

Gear matters a bit (a mixture of skill and gear wins)

Gear matters a lot (gear can win over skill)
makarios68 no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
Aries202
Banned

Aries202 is on a distinguished road

Yes it's true that good gear doesn't make you better, but it does make a huge impact when it comes down to stats. Which can cause a bit of imbalance towards a player with said shopped armour and weapons.
Aries202 no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
_Enio_
Marquis

_Enio_ will become famous soon enough

Well... One thing is, its a huge difference what class you play. The class that probably benefits the most of gear is marks. Its a quite big difference in Small scale fights, as the autohits of i.e. my gear equal the dmg of almost 2 normal eq marks focusfiring. Its alot in targets without def buffs as the element of surprise of much dmg is quite a big deal, harder to outheal and outrun/outhug and defenitely keeps the target busy with himself. Still when you are ccd your dmggear helps you zero.

In RvR however its more a coordination thing as 2 normal eq marks can do more pressure if they watch eachother and sync their targets than 1 uber eq marks with amu n nice gears.

Another sort of "good gear" is high AP stuff vs archers, that really makes a difference, however its so common that you wont notice it as "good gear".

Esp. since the cs fix (nerf) gear doesnt change alot for mage classes imho, beside high AP on armors.

For Barbs high AP and resistances vs pierce makes quite a difference, however dmg gear doesnt make that much of a difference imho, hits are still high enough to get a kill.

In general however, compared to other MMOs, gear still makes a very low difference, even on marks. I seen games where you really couldnt scratch a high eq at all with norm eq.

On your question: A mixture of Gear and Skill will win in most 1v1 scenarios.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:22 AM   #4
The_Krome_Dragon
Initiate

The_Krome_Dragon is on a distinguished road

I pretty much agree with enio. In some mmos a lvl 20 can easily kill a lvl 60 if he has the gear so in regnum gear doesnt make that much of a diff imho.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
Kitsuni
Baron

Kitsuni is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Krome_Dragon View Post
I pretty much agree with enio. In some mmos a lvl 20 can easily kill a lvl 60 if he has the gear so in regnum gear doesnt make that much of a diff imho.
Though certain combninations of those premium gems, passives and buffs can render targets virtually immune to some damage.

Those armor gems would be the only gear I would call imbalanced.

---

Well, kind of off-topic but...

Regnum specifically has a bigger problem, that lower levels have become so far divided from the higher levels because of regular, unbonused gear. Well simply put, the difference between a level 30's gear and a level 60's gear even unbonused is so rediculous that the level 60 can kill him in a few normal hits or spells.

I'd even argue that most gear below level 45 or so is completely useless in the current implementation aside from grinding on mobs. Even then, its not so great. And regarding skill versus gear balance, at the moment its kind of "Grind alot, be super powered", and grinding without premium is not so easy, thus no easy access to such gear.

So one could conclude that, in the greater scheme of things, premium unbalances the game not through epic gear (like in other games, as mentioned), but an overabundance of maximum level players. But that's not to say that a high skill level can't curve this as many videos show, but the majority of players won't have this skill and spend most of their time in the game getting horribly owned by high level players until they eventually stop logging in, never even making it to the end of the grind.

Its just a fact, very few level 60s in the game got there "vanilla". Few even make it to level 50 vanilla.

Last edited by Kitsunie; 05-07-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Kitsuni no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
DemonMonger
Marquis

DemonMonger is on a distinguished road

Keeping it pure regnum vs regnum.

People with great gear will rape people with normal gear.

It's the difference between 250 damage and 800 damage for lvl 60 hunter vs hunter.

Tears of joy for some, tears of frustration for others.

The hunter with a full set of anti peirce armor can resist 60% all peirce damage basic + secondary buff resist about 85% peirce damage during the battle!

While the hunter with basic armor and buffs can resist about 40% peirce damage fully buffed.

Now if you really want to start crying add epic weapons + dragon amulets into the equation.

Any more questions?

I have seen hunters hitting 1200 - 1500 damage on a fully buffed marksman.......
DemonMonger no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Raindance
Initiate

Raindance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonMonger View Post

I have seen hunters hitting 1200 - 1500 damage on a fully buffed marksman.......
That's a slight exaggeration, unless you mean a normal hit piggybacked with an ensnaring arrow. But it's true, I once got a 900 critical hit followed by a near 1000 ensnaring arrow from a hunter followed by a 700 from a barbarian.

I can't even begin to explain what that is. It just makes me feel sorry for the hunters who hit for 20 - 50 damage, and not just hunters. The worst part is that just one person in a big fight with OP items can make such a difference regardless of how many players are on each side. So, that being said, I'm gonna quote (from my memory) someone now just because: "Dragon Amulet: no skills, all the kills".

Last edited by Raindance; 05-07-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Raindance no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:22 AM   #8
_Enio_
Marquis

_Enio_ will become famous soon enough

You shouldda try it for a while and youll rea,ize its some useless idiocy. It makes a difference in small scale, in broader scale it really doesnt.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
Unk0
Banned

Unk0 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Enio_ View Post
You shouldda try it for a while and youll rea,ize its some useless idiocy. It makes a difference in small scale, in broader scale it really doesnt.
+1

if your the only one doing damage=all focus you=dead meat

in 1v1 skill and gear matters the same.
with good stuff but without skill your won't kill an avergage geared with average skill (barb that don't use UM, or mark without cc?)
same with skill but no gear.
Unk0 no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
Raindance
Initiate

Raindance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk0 View Post

if your the only one doing damage=all focus you=dead meat
Yes, but if you've got the best gear then that also means you're going to be able to tank more damage, also, don't forget conjurers and knight auras. In 1vs1 gear does make a bigger difference than in group fights, but the difference is still there nonetheless.

I can just point out a good example of one of Syrtis' latest invasions, where both sides had about the same at a fight for Samal fort, but there was one guy, who clearly had a lot of good items and made it near impossible for anyone to counter back any way.

Of course the difference is, if not, little to zero on bigger servers.
Raindance no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote