Mike JezZ
Pledge

Mike JezZ is on a distinguished road
Default Hi guys worth a download?

Hey guys,

I really miss some good PvP.

How's Champions of Regnum?

How limited is a "f2p" player?

I would love to give it a go since I love PvP, but is it p2w?
Mike JezZ no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
_Kharbon_
Baron

_Kharbon_ is on a distinguished road

Hi
Well, RO can be a perfect game for you, it entirely depends on what previous experience with other MMORPG's you have. I'll try to answer your questions, but of course everyone on this forum plays the game, and therefore is biased. Keep that on mind

PvP:
Generally good. Since PvP is not the main aspect of the game, there is some imbalance between certain classes at different situations (warriors dominate at fort wars, while marksmen in open field, etc.). However, skill means a lot. Different classes the game offers have different strengths and weaknesses, and different strategies. There are players in Regnum, who concentrate on PvP, and there are players, who concentrate on RvR action. The experience is great, although it requires some learning in both. Only problem with pvp and rvr is, that you need to acquire high level before joining them. I'd recommend at least lvl 40 to join some war, and even then you will find high-level characters killing you easily.

The downside of this is the fact, that leveling up is really boring and repetetive. At approx. lvl 40 you run out of quests, and then you have to grind up. This is boring. Reaching the maximum level takes usually few month, depending on class, how much you play, and whether you choose to speed up your progres via premium items (they are not required though, I'll explain further).

Premium:
By asking about f2p, I'm assuming you mean, what impact does premium have on gameplay. NGD (the developing studio) focuses on gaining revenue with customisation. Most of the premium items available enhance the visual aspect of your character. They range from different haircuts, through costumes, up to fancy mounts. These items have no impact on the gameplay whatsoever.
The next "category" are item boxes and item enhancements. You can buy a item, that randomly generates a item of your level and class. Due to the randomness many players will agree with me, that there's not much point in investing in them, since you can obtain great items by trading with other players and/or dropping from mobs. Probably the most powerful item, dragon amulet, is dropped from a boss (however, currently unavailable, developers are designing new instances for them). Gear has some impact on the gameplay, however I am of the opinion, that even the most overpowered gear will loose to skill and game knowledge.
The last important category of premium is boosters. The most useful ones are xp boosters. They increase the amount of xp that you obtain from killing mobs, and are timed (1 hour of "grinding"). Buying those speeds up your progress, but do not limit you from reaching the maximum level without investing money. I never brought any of those items, and I have many high-level characters.

The only premium item, that I'd recommend considering is a permanent mount. Those allow you to travel faster (but you cannot attack or cast spells while on it), and are widely used in the game. They do not have impact on pvp or rvr, but without it you might find yourself lagging behind wargroups. Still, I know players, who successfully play without having them.
A temporary mount is given through a quest, and lasts a week. During certain events, temporary mounts are given for free, such as other basic premium items.

I think I went a bit too lengthy here, so I'll just stop here. In summary; game is not pay to win, nor is free to play limited. PvP is great, and so are group fights or realm vs. realm vs. realm wars. The game is definitely worth trying out, but you cannot really join in PvP or RvR effectively, before you reach higher level. It might be worth watching some youtube videos, and reading on regnum.wikia.com (unofficial wiki page, however some advanced information might be out of date. Basic information should be accurate though).

If you have any further inquiries, don't hesitate to ask
WM - WM - WM - 56 - 53 - 50

_Kharbon_ no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Mike JezZ
Pledge

Mike JezZ is on a distinguished road

It is funny you say that PvP is not the main aspect, because on the steam page it says:

"Champions of Regnum, is a free to play MMORPG focused in epic Realm versus Realm (RvR) and Player versus Player (PvP) battles."

Is it heavy grindy? Does it take long to be able to start PvP?
Mike JezZ no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
VandaMan
Baron

VandaMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike JezZ View Post
Is it heavy grindy? Does it take long to be able to start PvP?
There's a crazy amount of grinding to get to max level, unless you're spending real money. You can buy premium items to start at level 45, and then up to +500% xp bonus boosters. If you have a bunch of cash to throw around.

I think it would take me about 3 or 4 weeks to grind to a level where you can start PvP (40 or so), but in general I'd expect it takes new players a little longer.
VandaMan no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
_Kharbon_
Baron

Well, let me explain further; the RvR is in my opinion more vivid in the game for few reasons:
The RvR is centralized around structures such as capturable forts, invasions and great community. PvP doesn't have such "points of interest", except for arena, that isn't widely used. Of course, there are many players running around, searching for PvP. I didn't mean to state that PvP is shadowed by RvR, but I rather tried to emphasise that both are present in the game, and it's next to impossible to experience pure PvP action and cut out any RvR.
Most players, who like PvP, run around the warzone and engage in small battles. Sometimes they find 1v1, sometimes 1v2/3, sometimes group versus group. Every player joins RvR at some point though .

Grind is not terribly heavy, but rather terribly boring. You will be slaying the same mobs again and again, for few weeks at least, if you don't want to invest into boosters. (occasionally there are events that activate server-wide booster, which helps greatly )
Starting PvP requires a higher level than RvR in my oppinion, and therefore I'd say you should consider getting lvl 50 to experience PvP in a reasonable. If you take on opponents of higher level and more experience, you will most likely loose though. The higher level you get, the easier it will be battling against your opponents, of course.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
Hollow-Ichigo
Count

Hollow-Ichigo is on a distinguished road

Not worth it at all, resists have ruined the pvp experience. not to mention the countless ton of noobs who say 'this is a rvr game, we dont need to pvp'....
Old 05-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Enitharmon
Initiate

Enitharmon is on a distinguished road

Just to clarify; Where other games often refer to anything where players are pitted against others as "PvP", in this community the term "PvP" is used in the narrow sense of 1 vs 1 player "duel" fights, and "RvR" means many vs many.

You will meet no intelligent NPC's in this game, all your interesting fights will be vs other people. Unlike some other games, the focus is on fights where many players are involved on multiple sides (3 "realms"). Using the "wide" definition, it is a heavily PvP-focused game.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
Krungle
Master

Krungle is on a distinguished road

This is the least 'pay to win' and truest 'free to play' game I have found. IMHO the only thing one really needs to buy is a mount, although storage space expansions are useful.

This game sees some awesome Realm Vs. Realm (and sometimes vs.Realm) fights after you hit about the L45 mark, although lower level Marksmen and Conjurers can be quite annoying to an enemy before that. Level 45 is the true halfway mark to L60, experience point wise. You see the curve starting in the early forties.

This game is not *as* gear dependent as many other games. Gear helps but individual skill and group tactics rule. Also there are no 'right' skilling sets in this game, in fact most subclasses have many recognized build types (for instance Conjurer can be a Warju, Supportju, or Hybred). Skills can be reset at any time so this game lets you experiment with builds, this is the first game I have ever taken advantage of reskilling.
Krungle no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
_Kharbon_
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krungle View Post
I agree, only a small correction: level 45 is not half way to 60, experience wise. In fact, you need to get about 11 million xp at level 60, half of this is around 5.5 million xp, which corresponds to level 54.
It might sound illogical, but the reason for this is the exponential curve of level:experience.

Here's the information on experience required for levels:
http://regnum.wikia.com/wiki/Experience_and_Levels

Old 05-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
Krungle
Master

Krungle is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the correction Kharbon. I guess I got the numbers transposed.

Anyway, to the OP, Join the blue team, we have goats and Dwarves.
Krungle no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote