Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > Technical Support > Linux

Linux Technical issues under Linux platform

Old 02-28-2013, 05:19 AM   #1
BadSector
Pledge

BadSector is on a distinguished road
Default Game doesn't starting after server restart of 27 February 2013

Here's my story,

I'm a seasoned linux user and is not also the first time I've had problem with this game client. However, this time I'm really in the dark and this is my first post which unfortunately happens also to be a problem report and request for help.

Game noticed me for server restart and I've logged out. Some hours later tried to launch it via the desktop icon, received some update about 3 and something MB, then closed by itself. I've tried for a second time and didn't started at all. Tried it then from command line and noticed:
Code:
user@system:~/bin/regnum$ ./rolauncher
Segmentation fault
user@system:~/bin/regnum$
OK, I thought that's something gone very bad with the executable and after the download, the file got corrupted. Launched "uninstall" from inside ~/bin/regnum and after it purged the folder and ~.config/ngdstudios with its contents, just in case...
I've forced fsck on restart also to be sure that everything is ok and checked even memory and smart status of my hard disk to be absolutely sure that's not system related issue.
Then I've reinstalled the game which I have kept in my downloads. This method worked in a previous case also when game refused to start after an update. However, after trying again, the game downloaded again this 3 and something MB and exited again, with the same results as above...
Checked the game logs and weren't there. Launcher was giving just segfault and no log was created!
Checked the kernel log to be sure that's not bogus message (got a bit paranoid here):
Code:
system kernel: [12538.855872] rolauncher[3632]: segfault at 81fffb4d ip 81fffb4d sp bf840f9c error 4
I've read through forum posts for some hours and noticed a way to start it by bypassing the rolauncher. Issued from inside live folder the game with ./game myuserid mymd5passwd and this time created some log but crashed again. However the error_log.txt was giving me:
Code:
[28/02/2013 03:41:39] [ConnectionEntity][connection_entity.cpp(337)] You are using an obsolete or incompatible client!
Then passed from my mind that something changed to installer and downloaded again the game from "championsofregnum" site's download section. To my surprise was exactly the same size's! Anyway, I've repeated the same procedures, uninstall, purge everything game related and reinstalled it, just in case the size is the same but my older download got hit by cosmic rays. Same results, same walk and same error_log.txt with the difference of the time stamp only!
I've checked also if my system downloaded something between game server restart and the failure incident (I'm getting old, I forget) and nothing was updated since 22 Feb. No graphics driver, no kernel, nothing. Something that may be worth to mention is that this time in contrast to an older case, the libs folder was empty too but the libs were also missing from the game folder (older issue was libsteam_api.so related).
Any suggestions?

FYI, my system is Core2Duo 2.1GHz, 2GB RAM, Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS 32bit with kernel 2.6.32-45-generic running Gnome2 and using Nvidia driver 304.64 on Quadro NVS 140M.

PS. Please, forgive my inelegant english, is not my native language.

Last edited by BadSector; 03-01-2013 at 06:05 AM. Reason: misspelled word
BadSector no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
BadSector
Pledge

Default Is a bug in updater

After some days fiddling with Bastard and other tools, I've discovered the following:
Has hardcoded absulute path so fails to update if game was installed in different one than ~/regnum then any patch applied in a way to make the game crashing with segfault. Workaround is a reinstall to default folder.

Severity: Critical

DEV, your turn...
Old 03-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
BadSector
Pledge

Default Quiting the game

I've noticed that others also left the game, so is my time too. Good luck with the bugs, policies and the linux client in general. is far from F2P also and doesn't worth even to pay for it IMHO. Zero support since only one developer left for the linux spin, no flexible payment methods (no SMS pay on half of europe, no other payment methods except card or paypal - which in europe requires card), poor role play concept, HUGE gap between premium and simple players, even to pass some time by grinding mobs is pain. I've seen many games of such kind and this is one of the same.

You're free to delete my posts if that offend you and even my account since I don't play anymore. I reserve the right to publish my first hand experiences from the game as journalist, since I've played for some months also.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
standistortion
Master

standistortion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSector View Post
....I reserve the right to publish my first hand experiences from the game as journalist, since I've played for some months also.
Somehow I doubt that last bit but since when did the truth get in the way of a good story.
standistortion no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
andres81
Count

andres81 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSector View Post
After some days fiddling with Bastard and other tools, I've discovered the following:
Has hardcoded absulute path so fails to update if game was installed in different one than ~/regnum then any patch applied in a way to make the game crashing with segfault. Workaround is a reinstall to default folder.
You used the 32bit or 64bit client?
I can't reproduce this issue here with my 64bit installation - never installed to the default directory and i don't have any regnum directory in my $HOME. Update of launcher worked beside the old and minor launcher issues

Btw: Unfortunately the Linux support of this game is no more what it was in the past but it is still one of the very few games that officially support this platform; I still remember the nightmare of getting and install the inofficial Never Winter Nights Linux client following a 4 pages instruction to install it - in some way we are used to get tortured by the game companies and we still have to say thanks that they make at least something for us Linux users
andres81 no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote