Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > General discussion

General discussion Topics related to various aspects of Champions of Regnum

Old 06-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
AariEv
Initiate

AariEv is on a distinguished road
Default Warmasters and Current Gameplay

Just another review...

Well there are many topics about the new changes, but thought I'd still write my own really really REALLY long thread about this just because I can't keep my mouth shut when I see what's going on in Horus (and I'm pretty sure the same thing is happening in Ra, but I can't be sure as I don't play there). I never write about something until I experience it thoroughly first-hand, so I'm not some random player who's pissed off at stuff he doesn't fully understand.

So, I don't know about you all, but I really miss this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b8-QQ0MFm8

and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYFE0gPNgIo (for people who don't like how syrtis won the majority of the time in the first video)

That is what you call a really great series of wars, but ever since the appearance of Warmasters, that rarely happens anymore. And while that video may be focusing on open field wars, great fort wars rarely happen anymore either. Instead, gameplay in Regnum Online has shifted from nice war's shown in Scias' video, to teleporting around the map, taking forts and invading. If this is NGD's vision, then that's ok, but there are several flaws in the design that reduce the amount of actual "war" in the game. (Just to clarify, when i say war, I don't mean taking an empty fort; I mean large scale fights between two or more armies of different realms).

Bridges: Teleporting Vs. Running

So now we have these new portals that teleport us to whatever fort we like. They're great because because now we get to travel to the action faster than ever, but they do more harm than good. Because of the teleports, open field wars and bridge wars are rare or non-existant now. In other words, now that we can teleport, strategies that the map was designed for don't matter anymore. Strategies like: bridge camping

Yes, it's frustrating to be killed while you're running/riding to a fort and believe me, it pissed me off especially since I am a support conju and I can't do anything to attackers, but the concept of bridges made war very diverse in RO. Here are some examples:
  • If Syrtis was farming samal during the day you could go and camp pb to restrict reinforcements by sending a couple of players to camp, which would give ignis a better chance to take back their fort.
  • Hunters could track enemy zergs as they moved across the map, giving the defending realm the opportunity to.......defend :P

Now that we have teleports, however, game tactics like this no longer exists.

Bridges funneled large armies into a tight space and for that reason they were the foundation for great wars. Now, they're insignificant. Honestly, I miss hearing the phrase "Ignis at pb" or "Alsius at pp".

My Suggestion: Remove portals that teleport you to enemy realms, but this is the wrong forum section for suggestions so nvm.

Alters, Warmasters, and the Duration of Wars

Here's a question. If 25 alsius just took herb (and Syrtis is 15) and we're forced to res at the gate because our save is captured, do you think we're going to run all the way back to herb just to die and repeat the process....or are we going to use one of those cool new teleports to go to another fort and avoid the problem? The combination of warmaster teleports and the new alter mechanics significantly decreases fort war gameplay! Because of this flaw, the game has become mainly fort-hopping (with no pvp action).

Now that we have these teleports, if Syrtis dies at Samal or something, we (for example) can easily teleport back in less than 1 min sometimes. How is this fair in terms of giving the defending realm a chance to regain their forts.

It is because of this reason that instead of trying to regain forts, we just choose to move on to another...

My Suggestion: Remove portals that teleport you to enemy realms, but this is the wrong forum section for suggestions so nvm.

Conclusion (Kind of a rant so skip if you want)

Gameplay in Regnum is boring compared to what it once was! I remember a time when armies of 30+ players fought each other at bridges, forts, and even in random places on the map. Now these fights rarely happen....even in invasion attempts because the attacking realm is too concerned with invading through boats to kill some stupid NPC for WM coins. Meanwhile the defending realm is standing at the gate for 2 hours trying to defend their gems when really no one (except maybe the famous ignis night crew) gives a damn about gems compared to killing the damn noble just to become Warmaster and continue the cycle of what's killing the gameplay in this game right now.

It's frustrating, especially when you remember what RO once was and how much fun you used to have with wars.

My Suggestion: Remove portals that teleport you to enemy realms AND give us back ALL ours saves please, but this is the wrong forum section for suggestions so nvm.

Last edited by Aarisewan; 06-04-2011 at 07:59 PM.
AariEv no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
Raindance
Initiate

Raindance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarisewan View Post

So, I don't know about you all, but I really miss this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b8-QQ0MFm8
Yes, I miss Syrtis winning all the time as well.

About the review, I could care less. Just another waste of good nerves and energy, however I do acknowledge the time you spent in thinking and writing this.
Raindance no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
AariEv
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindance View Post
Yes, I miss Syrtis winning all the time as well.

About the review, I could care less. Just another waste of time.
If you thought that was my point of posting that link, then that's sad, and next time don't waste time on commenting on something that's "Just another waste of time" to you. But nevertheless, I will edit it and make sure I put a nice sign that says "It's not about syrtis winning", just for you.

thanks again for wasting time.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
Raindance
Initiate

Edited just for you to feel less sad.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
AariEv
Initiate

To be honest, it probably is just another waste of time. For the amount of time I played, I think there have been 2 times NGD has listened to anything players have posted in this section of the forums. Idk, for some reason I'm still optimistic that maybe they'll understand.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
Raindance
Initiate

Seriously what do you expect to achieve by making a WM-fail thread as if there were not enough complaints about this matter? More +1's? Attention? Shure NGD may read all these complaints, but do you honestly think they will use your idea? Or the other guy's idea? For that you should just sign up for NGD. I don't even know why we have a suggestions section at all.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
AariEv
Initiate

It's definitely the attention. And I spend time writing this because I want to count how many people read my thread. So yes, I want +1s please. ty

Not Sarcastic: yes, I agree, but I didn't write this so we could restate the obvious

Last edited by Aarisewan; 06-04-2011 at 06:39 PM.
AariEv no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
Zas_
Count

Zas_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Seriously what do you expect to achieve by making a WM-fail thread as if there were not enough complaints about this matter? More +1's? Attention? Shure NGD may read all these complaints, but do you honestly think they will use your idea? Or the other guy's idea? For that you should just sign up for NGD. I don't even know why we have a suggestions section at all.
As usual, you made yet another constructive post... there is a group of forumers here that think they have some superior IQ or something.

Did you even try to read what OP wrote ?
What is your opinion about this update and especially impact of teleports on the gameplay ?

For my part, and from my in-game experience, i think OP is perfectly right in his analysis, teleports reduced a lot war tactics, and lead to a frustrating experience for many (low level, not yet warmasters, underpopulated realms), This update puts it all in favor of numbers while reducing tactical options we had, instead of increasing them.

For me, i see few positive points though:
- new forts, nicely done, still need some polishing.
- noble quest, not for WM points, but for fights they provide in inner realm at noble house
- alternative way to go inner realm (boats)

Negative:
- all warmaster spells, especially teleports, and 100% resist beacons
- noble quests, it allows high level chars to play with low level ones (i did today at Birka, sorry guys
- boats, far too easy to pass, guards don't even respawn, if camped by enough, impossible, if camped by not enough, just too easy.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #9
Seher
Count

Seher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarisewan View Post
Remove portals that teleport you to enemy realms AND give us back ALL ours saves please
Nothing left to say. Just... I like the idea of one central save.

Quote:
About the review, I could care less. Just another waste of good nerves and energy
Just that YOU don't care doesn't mean it's a waste of time.

I too miss bridge fights, I miss the old saves.

Teleports to your own forts might be a good idea, combined with one central save. This means your forces split up and creates smaller battles. (Warmasters & friends head for the secondary fort and the castle, all the others try agg/samal/herb) Teleports to your own fort and a save at each one rather renders the teleport useless...

Either way, everything is better than it is now.

DISCORD!
Seher no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #10
bois
Count

bois will become famous soon enough

I rather enjoyed the post. It made me kind of sad to see all those moments at the bridges. It made me think about all the great times we had in open field battles and fort wars.
It was not perfect but it was damn fun. Even if you died in the most ridiculous of ways you just wanted more and would run to your death just to get a taste of it again.
I did not think the video was a "syrtis winning one". Rather I saw something we older players all enjoyed and crave again.
It just serves to rienforce what we are losing now to certain game mechanics that will not work on Horus. There is no doubt in my mind that the Warmaster spells need a rethink for Horus.

That is , if NGD is not just waiting to spin off this part of the business to another company. Or, spin it off as another company they own (majority) and sell equity in it to raise revenue.

As for Raindance, I see it this way . Like the rest of us, frustration has built up about the condition of Horus and nerves are a bit raw. It just happened to spill over into this thread. I totally understand that frustration. How it came across might be a bit unfortunate.

We are just a bunch of nostalgic whiners who are still locked into the golden age of the game. Sure it was broken as heck but it was incredibly funny and tremendously fun to play even on modest equipment. It may be "better" from a programming standpoint now but it is still as fun on Horus today?

This thread was certainly not a waste to read at all.
bois no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote