Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > Technical Support > Linux

Linux Technical issues under Linux platform

Old 04-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
platyna
Initiate

platyna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Very slow resource loading

Is the update server so overloaded? The game is downloading resources from the web with amazing speed 57 bytes/s. Ping is ok, and my Internet connection is also ok.

Regards.
platyna no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
signals
Pledge

signals is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by platyna View Post
with amazing speed 57 bytes/s.
Consider yourself lucky. I've been cruising along at 24 bytes/s and I've had it running for over 12 hours now.

Yes, I know about not loading all of the resources at login, but the game is unplayable without all of the resources loaded (missing objects, terrain, textures, etc.) so I'll wait.
signals no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
Marlance
Pledge

Marlance is on a distinguished road

Check your log files I found that in my case it wasn't really downloading, the regnum error log file showed a ton of "Unable to download Resource #######"
Marlance no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Mattdoesrock
Count

Mattdoesrock will become famous soon enoughMattdoesrock will become famous soon enough

This, sadly, is normal. It's very slow as ten million trillion people are trying to download the resources at the same time, so with all the strain, it does go verrrry slow.

Also expect the game to be abit laggy for the next day or two, while people download the patch.

P.S. Mine did at 26 bytes/s.
MattdoesJOKE_#40_NOT_FOUND
RA / Hor... Haven?
Mattdoesrock no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
roxas99999
Pledge

roxas99999 is on a distinguished road
Default Me too

Yep, Ive beer swerving around 8 bytes to 24 bytes.
roxas99999 no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
gokusan_
Pledge

gokusan_ is an unknown quantity at this point

This is where NGD could implement torrent technology so that users can seed their resources and create a huge swarm (instead of bombing the same 3 servers over and over for 72 hours!)

Maybe the game client could use a web port to run a light bittorrent client that is built in, and only enable it during updates?
Old 04-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
signals
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by arohacs View Post
Maybe the game client could use a web port to run a light bittorrent client that is built in, and only enable it during updates?
Too slow. I beat you to it by a couple of hours in the suggestions forum:

http://www.regnumonline.com.ar/forum...ad.php?t=40025

But, obviously, I think that's a very good idea.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
ArcticWolf
Duke

ArcticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightArcticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightArcticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightArcticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightArcticWolf is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by signals View Post
Too slow. I beat you to it by a couple of hours in the suggestions forum:

http://www.regnumonline.com.ar/forum...ad.php?t=40025

But, obviously, I think that's a very good idea.
You were slower than me ... I suggested that in the Spanish forum and some technical users said it was an (almost) perfect solution. There are some problems like slow upload rates and users who connect, update and play for less than an hour. I thought about that (the seeding problem) and arrived to a conclusion: you could get some in-game money by seeding.

The server would host the files for the first users, then it should "replicate" over bittorrent. You can download a checksum list (in fact, that's what the updater does) and check if they're valid.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:23 PM   #9
signals
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xephandor View Post
You were slower than me ... I suggested that in the Spanish forum and some technical users said it was an (almost) perfect solution. There are some problems like slow upload rates and users who connect, update and play for less than an hour. I thought about that (the seeding problem) and arrived to a conclusion: you could get some in-game money by seeding.

The server would host the files for the first users, then it should "replicate" over bittorrent. You can download a checksum list (in fact, that's what the updater does) and check if they're valid.
"Missed it by that much."

I'm not sure seeding would be an issue. As I mentioned in my thread about torrents, I am pretty sure that's how WoW distributes updates, and by default, it is always active.

Anyone who is playing has a torrent running in the background to distribute the update files. This can be turned off in an options dialog, but it defaults to on. If it doesn't cause problems, almost nobody takes the time to go turn it off. Therefore, just about everyone who is currently playing becomes a seed for the torrent.

You could also build in a switch to turn an update on. NGD could start distributing the resources by torrent a week or two before it goes live. They would just need a way for the client to set them aside and not use them until the server tells it to. This would mean that by the day of the patch, you already had all of the resources and there would be nothing to download at all. (Assuming you had played enough in the weeks prior.) Then it doesn't really matter how slow the download is because you don't really have to wait for it.

The only issue I could see is the torrent software causing lag in-game, but that could probably be solved by letting the game determine how much bandwidth the torrent uses. If the game is having abnormally high ping times, it could scale back the bandwidth caps on the torrent, or even disable it entirely, if necessary.

Not that I'd object to being able to earn gold from running a torrent, though.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #10
lord_dvl
Baron

lord_dvl will become famous soon enoughlord_dvl will become famous soon enough

Niclam said that there is a new installer available to download.

It has all the resources of 1.0.5.

Why don´t you try that?. I reinstall in the same directory where i have the game and it worked fine.
lord_dvl no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote