Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > General discussion

General discussion Topics related to various aspects of Champions of Regnum

Old 11-01-2018, 01:28 AM   #1
Dark_Barbarian
Initiate

Dark_Barbarian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A question about game development.

I've looked around to try and find the right place for this topic if it's not for General Discussion it can be moved.

but anyway here is my question.

after the long years of my banned I have never given up on regnum online

this game was one of the first online games I played when I started online video gaming and I have been keeping a watch on it development progress and one of the biggest concerns I have is the speed of which new content and changes are added to the game. its a lot slower compared to many other online games on the market and I'm hoping if NGD could tell me why?

I'm simply asking what seems as an important question if the devs don't want to answer they can delete this post.
Dark_Barbarian no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:19 AM   #2
Aver
Initiate

Aver is on a distinguished road

I am quite sure the reason behind it is the small amount of people fully dedicated to Regnum Online. NGD is a big company, don't get me wrong, but those at RO are just a few.
Kind Regards.
Aver no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:36 PM   #3
Lebeau
Banned

Location: 'B-F-Egypt', Virginia, U.S.A. (please pity & forgive us poor american fools!).
Lebeau is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aver View Post
I am quite sure the reason behind it is the small amount of people fully dedicated to Regnum Online. NGD is a big company, don't get me wrong, but those at RO are just a few.
Kind Regards.
Specifically, DB, there are only two "people fully dedicated to Regnum Online" now: Adrian & Leily (& only one programs). Because of how oddly intertwined & convoluted CoR's computer-code is, which has often led to all kinds of unintended negative consequences when one given thing is purposefully changed, NGD has stated that there will be few(er) changes, & that they will take a long(er) time to fully implement (so as to minimize/negate those negative consequences). It is what it is, so do not expect (m)any major changes, at a breakneck pace, to CoR going forward....(& welcome back btw)....

Lebeau no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #4
Mashu
Master

Mashu is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the art work behind RO is amazing, and it's a very valuable asset.
What NGD could try is porting some of that content into existing proprietary engines like Unity or Unreal. It would be nice if engine would support GNU/Linux.

By leveraging engine maintenance to some other company, players would benefit from code always having latest up to date with recent technology graphics, that uses most optimal OpenGL/Vulkan calls. Engine bugs would be fixed by external company, while NGD could focus all efforts at adding content in a much simpler way than it is possible with custom engine. These proprietary engines have tools that are clickable and require very little or no coding at all to add advanced content. Of course its a learning curve, but they have already some experience with other game TimeWatch.

I think it's an option worth considering, because these days only very big players can afford maintaining their own engine. And it's much more cost efficient to re-use existing engine. At least it's worth investigating. RO switched engine once already.
Mashu no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:56 AM   #5
Redo_Ger
Apprentice

Redo_Ger is on a distinguished road

They just updated the old engine, not switched it to a completly new one.
And that was when there were still more then two people coding on the game.

I can only imagine that recoding the whole game for another engine is not something that can be done easily.
Redo_Ger no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:07 AM   #6
erzsi
Pledge

erzsi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redo_Ger View Post
They just updated the old engine, not switched it to a completly new one.
And that was when there were still more then two people coding on the game.

I can only imagine that recoding the whole game for another engine is not something that can be done easily.
Some older threads contain long discussions about that idea. There are a fair number of assets to be converted (many of which would be done by the art department, which is NOT understaffed), but the real problem is the underlying code.

It would not be a trivial task to convert the code to any other engine. It could be done -- but the cost/benefit ratio is relatively high.
erzsi no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #7
Anunnaki
Banned

Anunnaki is on a distinguished road

Because a company will never take a risk and work on a Legacy game with an engine that date from 2005.

But they will prefer to move on, and create new game with more powerfull engines that will be competitive with the current games.

Note also, it is very hard to rework it or to find developers that will be interested on that.

Maybe one day, NGD will decide to build a new game based on regnum

As well regnum and urban terror were the first game i ever played, and now both suffer from the same thing. :/

Last edited by Anunnaki; 11-05-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Anunnaki no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:55 PM   #8
Aver
Initiate

Aver is on a distinguished road

Can you imagine the same RO, but with Unreal Engine?
They just have to redo everything in a different engine, transfer all data from current RO engine to the new one, and delete current RO. Seems easy, but I cannot imagine the amount of work/money it needs to be done... Some day, when I become rich, I'll invest in the game so it doesn't die (?)
Aver no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:34 AM   #9
Ulti19
Master

Ulti19 will become famous soon enough

A completely remastered Regnum Online *drools*