Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > General discussion

General discussion Topics related to various aspects of Champions of Regnum

Old 10-30-2006, 05:22 PM   #1
plrabun
Apprentice

plrabun is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Issues with Regnum

I'm really disappointed in the small variety of options and choices and particularly spells and actions. Please read my ideas carefully NGD.

Problems with Regnum:
1) there aren't very many spells/actions
2) most are useless (cost too much mana, small effect)
3) buffs don't last long enough
4) no self-buffs for warrior class
5) melee charactors have no healing skill or action for advanced combat
6) you can not mix classes, you must stay the same

Some ideas for improvement:
1) Make more creative spells and actions (If NGD needs ideas, we have them)
2) Balance the existing spells, ammount of mana used should be directly proportionant to the effect (if you need examples, ask)
3) Make buffs more useful (should last 20 minutes or more at the same cost)
4) allow warrior class to be able to choose to train buffing disciplines
5) allow for healing kits or potions to be used
6) allow more subclasses and mixing classes for better variety. Example: Weapon uses for warriors should be based on our stats (strength, dextarity, intelligence etc.) and not on our disciplines (these should be specialties), we should be able to raise stats ourself every level (more variety),

Also, it makes sence that a warrior could use any weapon (sword, axe, pike, etc.) and be able to use them, or wear any type of armor (for why must it depend on what class you are for what armor you pick? The best armor should be expensive, the worst should be cheap)

NGD should base the game off of the opinions of the players (majority of course), the player-base will create the most fun, creative game imaginable, if the developers with the skills to make it would just respond to its community
Old 10-30-2006, 06:14 PM   #2
niclam
Legend

niclam will become famous soon enough

Hello Plrabun,

First of all, thank you for your comments. And about the problems:

1) That depends on how many you would consider enough. We have around 250 total spells and the warrior has around 70. The design of Regnum doesn't allow for all spells to be available for one player, you have to choose which path to go, allowing for different playing styles. Im assuming you are saying this based on your character level 20 (according to your signature), at level 50 there are a lot more spells to choose from.
And, there are a lot of games out there that have "a lot" of spells but they are actually variations of the base one, with just another name and better attributes (two come to mind: DaOC and SilkRoad). If you consider that to be part of any spell system, then we would have actually 1250 powers (5 levels per power).

2,3) You are right, we didn't focused on balance fine tuning yet, as the game is still under development in some areas. As soon as we have a really stable version, we will address everything balance related.

4,5,6) These are actually design options and as such, they are difficult to change at this moment. Either way, there are several good points about why the game doesn't have healing spells for the warrior class or the other parts you mention.

Everything is arguable of course but right now we are focusing on finish the game as it's. We will of course continue to improve the game over time, listening to what players have to say.

Regards
Old 10-30-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
plrabun
Apprentice

It always nice to hear y'all have these issues in mind, and yes of course my comments were based on my experience with the game so far, again what hasn't been adressed here is the effectiveness of the spells that are already in place... and I know this issue has been talked about before....for example, the only really effective spells I have as a warrior are charge and trip which you get at very early in the game, I never use the other skills because they use too much mana, and do LESS damage (which makes No sense), also the buffs you can get from a conjuror are too short to be effective
Old 10-30-2006, 09:49 PM   #4
ML42
Apprentice

ML42 is on a distinguished road

Hey, good points, but what are buffs?

I agree about the spells, I think I reported quite a few in-game, like the spikes coming up through the ground which didn't seem to have much effect, and vampirism (leaching health) which didn't seem to work at all.
ML42 no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
plrabun
Apprentice

buffs (a term i've got from playing many other games) are spells that increase a players stats or abilities, or protect the player

a debuff spell would decrease a an enemy players stats/abilities/lower their protection, or a monsters (you would cast a spell on a dragon to lower it's chance to evade a melee players attack or lower it's resistance to magic attacks, or increase the effect of a slashing/blunt/piercing attack)

Last edited by plrabun; 10-31-2006 at 06:02 PM.
plrabun no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:29 PM   #6
Qzzi
Pledge

Qzzi is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb More Issues

First of all I want to thank you for this great game. It is very enjoyable to play when I get the time to sit and play. Great Job! However, I've encounterd a few issues that might enhance gameplay.

1) Upon leveling, I get very, very few points to distribute to my spells (I'm level 12 now). Maybe this will change as I level up more. The last time I distibuted a point, the change didn't take place.
2) What was the point of limiting the spell category level a few levels lower than what level you are? We should be able to level up a spell category to the same level we are in. This way we don't have to guess or fomulate what is the greatest level we can update our spell category to.
3) When I was in a group of archers and spell castors (I'm a Knight currently), the monster keep moving here and there and I couldn't get in my swings because of the monster's movement. Could there be some sort of "auto lock" onto a creature so that wherever the creature runs off, your character will automatically face the monster and follow it? I will never join a group with archers and spell casters again because the fighting is unmanageable.
4) Remebering every NPC's name from evey town is... HARD. When there is a quest objective asking you to speak to someone in a different town you are currently in, can the quest objective speicify the town in which the person lives in? I'm trying to look for "someone surethunder" and I have to run circles around every town I've visited trying to find that person.
5) It seems there are very few weapons for knights and plenty for barbarians, warriors and archers. Perhaps I'm in the wrong realm for knighthood eh??

That's it for now. Thanks for the game!
Qzzi no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:32 AM   #7
plrabun
Apprentice

Yes, those are very good points, but if you look, most of the nice armor is for knights, so you have that, yes barbarians have a great selection on weapons, which im going to start testing the differences between them specifically

autolock is a good idea too, i've had this same problem...

another solution, would be for the party to be created with some options the leader could choose...ex: share xp with all members, or only ones who get attacks in:

some roles in large parties don't include fighting, for instance healing...does the healer get any share of the experience?
Old 11-01-2006, 11:54 AM   #8
imasu
Master

imasu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrabun
some roles in large parties don't include fighting, for instance healing...does the healer get any share of the experience?
Hi Dosage, yes we can take lots of pictures =P

Right now we don't get any XP by healing or assisting (at least last time I checked two weeks ago); that's partially why you we'll see fewer healers and many.. (I don't know the word : a conjurer specialized toward combat, with pets and many attack spells).

You only get XP/RP if you actually hit the target (and according to the inflicted damage); leveling without pets is very difficult and you have to spent lots of points making them stronger as you progress (points you could have spent in healing/supporting disciplines).

Anyway it was talked a lot (spanish forums), and pets/spawns discipline is said to be changed in the future.

Cheers
imasu no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:21 PM   #9
plrabun
Apprentice

Also, this pet concept thing is not open at all to warriors....at least at my level of 21, does the warrior get a pet at higher levels or never?

also, there needs to be incentive for support classes like healers, also, how does a healer level if he can't get exp from healing?

this needs to be fixed!