Go Back   Champions of Regnum > Testing server (Amun) > Old versions

Old versions Archived posts from old versions.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:52 AM   #1
Ulmanyar
Initiate

Ulmanyar is on a distinguished road
Default Utghars and hats/helmets

It seems like Utghars now can wear hats and helmets on Amun. This is a most welcome update, but I think the implementation is a bit odd:

What makes the Utghars a "special" class now? Nothing, really, except our wierd look and that this look still can't be customized by different looking hats. Before bonuses on headgear was introduced, Utghars was given an additional 5 constitution bonus to compensate for the lack of headgear-armour. My impression is that this was fair and considered an accepted compensation throughout the community (please, correct me if I'm wrong).

Then headgear with bonuses where introduced, and Utghars somehow got a disadvantage (especially mages, since they have really few slots to equip potential bonus items). Since then we have been waiting for NGD to fix this issue. Now they have, in a way.

Unfortunately the way this problem was "fixed" was not the way we could expect. Therefore I demand:
  • that NGD restores the 5 const bonus on Utghars.
  • that NGD removes armour points on headgear when they are equipped by Utghars.

Ok. As simple as that. It will be just as before, with the simple difference that Utghars now can enjoy the headgear bonuses that unrighteously have been denied them since those bonuses were introduced.

No harm will be done: You will only have to write a simple piece of code to check the race when a hat is equipped.
Ulmanyar no ha iniciado sesión  
Old 01-21-2009, 01:01 AM   #2
niclam
Legend

niclam will become famous soon enough
Smile

Hello,

Our main idea behind race differentiation was always purely cosmetic. The 5 additional constitution points were there to alleviate the shortcoming of Utghars not being able to wear headgear, thus losing the armor and any special attributes (for special items and above).

We are now "repairing" that shortcoming by allowing Utghars to use helmets like every other race (albeit invisible due to several limitations).

Nonetheless, we do intend to revisit race differentiation later this year by other means (i.e.: Maybe a passive or active spell).

Regards
Old 01-21-2009, 01:21 AM   #3
Ulmanyar
Initiate

Ulmanyar is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your answer, niclam! It means a lot that you took your time.

However, I still disagree with your decision (or rather: how the implementation was made), partly because it's always interesting to have differences - both between classes and races.

Also, I disagree because at least some of us Utghars have spent our initial 5 points according to the race-differences (5 const and no armour for Utghars) and that our decision on how to spent those points might have been different if Utghars were like "any other" race.

Therefore I stand by my word, and hope for you to reconsider. And please note: this is not a demand, just a simple wish. I can't imagine my alternate (and, with the given context, more logical) solution would be that much harder to implement, would it?

Again, thank you very much for answering and for finally dealing with this problem! Keep up the good work!
Ulmanyar no ha iniciado sesión  
Old 01-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
Inkster
Count

Inkster has a spectacular aura aboutInkster has a spectacular aura about

I must agree with both parties here.

Yes it will be nice to use headgear with bonuses but the loss of the 5 points will be a slight blow to the people playing the utghar class. I would have put my 5 points elsewhere myself.

Wearing headgear with armour points AND having the extra 5 constitution would be unfair to other classes.

That said, the removal of armour points to the headgear would be a better option.

It will be nice to now be able to wear headgear with the bonuses (grumbles how many mage hats have i given away)

I am however interested to see what comes from this

Quote:
Originally Posted by niclam
Nonetheless, we do intend to revisit race differentiation later this year by other means (i.e.: Maybe a passive or active spell).

Thanks for replying to Ulmanyars post so promptly Niclam, things like that mean a lot to the community

Edit: 1 question, will the event hats ie halloween helm, xmas hat etc. be invisible when worn by the utghars also?

Last edited by Inkster; 01-21-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Inkster no ha iniciado sesión  
Old 01-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
niclam
Legend

niclam will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkster
Edit: 1 question, will the event hats ie halloween helm, xmas hat etc. be invisible when worn by the utghars also?
No, they are exceptions and will be visible for Utghars also.

Regards