Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > General discussion

General discussion Topics related to various aspects of Champions of Regnum

Old 09-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
Winds
Pledge

Winds is on a distinguished road
Default Playability of classes

I once tried to search for a proper description of each class, but didn't find any decent ones. Sure the wiki explains what different classes do, but says close to nothing about how it's like to play the classes and how they correspond to others.

We also have many threads discussing (read: complaining) about individual classes. But not such that summarizes them all.

Even though I admit, that I haven't got that much of experience on each and every class, i though I'd try to describe them and hope that others will fill up my holes. My own characters are (in order of creation) Wind's Whisper (hunter), Wind's Call (barbarian) and Wind's Whistle (warlock). I could have access to 50 lvl chars of the other classes too, but for several reasons (main reason being following the rules) I play only these 3. I've played bit more then a year and only on Horus in Syrtis, so that affects my judgement too. I also must say that I'm far from being a good player, so I can't for example say what class wins over another in 1on1, as I've probably lost the each and every class on my chars. So I guess I'm trying to say that this is based on my limited personal experience and is thus no absolute truth.

I try to focus on RvR, because that's what this game is supposed to be about. All though while playing on the desolate server of Horus you easily end up playing a lot on your own and for some classes this game fails badly in that aspect. So enough with the intro...

Barbarian
Pro's: hard hits, good door breaker
Con's: melee range, position bugs, slow, dies fast, low mana

Barbarians are currently annoying to play. In one versus one both archers and staff mastery using mages can keep a melee class out off range for ages with strafing and continue hitting them all the time. Even if you get in range on your screen position bugs may cause you not to hit even a target you have knocked down yourself. In my view it's simply unacceptable that melee classes can die in 1on1 with out landing a single hit, cause the classes that have range to their advantage are also faster. Barbarians should in my opinion be the fastest class on short distance. In bigger fights barbarians role is to watch ranged fight each other, cause trying to get a hit will lead to all most certain death. Being on either side in fort war is boring as the only place you make a notable difference is the door. On the offensive side you stick to the door and keep hitting it untill it goes down. When defending you can actually do something, but leaving the fort for more then few seconds leads to death as well as going further then few meters from the fort door.

Still there are moments that can be fun. If you manage to get into to an enemy force you can create nice havoc, but unfortunately those moments tend to be over rather quickly. I must also say that barbarians aren't that broken as the above might make them look like. Just think about it why you die so fast if you try to approach the enemy. It's because you are a great threat to the enemy so they try their best to keep you away from them.

Knight
Pro's: usually among the last ones to die
Con's: melee range, position bugs, slow, low mana

Knights share many of the same problems as their barbarians friends. Not being able to reach an enemy due to no range and slow speed is bad for the popularity of the class. For a knight it's in away even worse as they have one speed buff less and in order to kill the enemy they need to get mroe hits through. People can contradict this by saying that heavily armored Knights shouldn't be fast, because of high weight armors. Well to be honest knights with heavy armors should from the reality point of view be riding mounts and thus be the fastest of all classes. It just doesn't provide good gameplay experiences to be a very slow class with no range, so some times you need to put the reality aspect aside.

Knight is supposed to be an sort of support class that helps their allies to stay alive, not by healing but taking dmg for them and giving them protection. This is a role that many players don't want to play and it's totally ok there are other classes for them to play. The problem is that currently a knight can't really do his job. Enemies don't target knights cause they are unlike to get them killed plus the knights don't oppose a great threat to them. In fact the shield tree is all most worthless. It has skills that don't seem to work half of the time, because they only affect probabilities and don't offer anything that is guaranteed to work everytime. Also it's auras are useless as even if realistic to shield only those behind you, that simply doesn't work well with the current game mechanics. Also their mana cost is rather high compared to their usefullness and the casters total mana.

In my view support class should be something that would be missed greatly if none of them in the the party. In regnum knights are the exact opposite. Conjurers are definetly missed, so are warlocks terrors, hunters track information, barbarians door bashing capabilities and marksmens long range, but most don't care at all if there's no knight in the group. The only lifeline of knights is their ability to stay alive long, so they get to enjoy the battle as long it last without that great fear of instant death.

Hunter
Pro's: fast speed, invisibility, tracks, escape spells, dmg reduction spells, ranged attacks and spells, lot of instants
Con's: low dmg, useless pets in bigger wars

NGD says hunters aren't ment to be assasins yet the element of surprise makes them the strongest class in 1on1 encounters and even without it they have very good chances of winning or at least escaping the battle alive. Their speed, tracking and invisibility makes them the only class that roam the war zone freely without fear of dying. This is a very big issue on horus as decent war activity is all most non existant for large parts of the day. Having only one class capable of doing well alone in the war zone drives more and more players towards that class. Which in the case of hunters makes the situation even more unbearable for other classes as with the growing numbers of hunters it's even more likely to get tracked and ambushed by a hunter. Previously we had at least the barbarians who could rely on their speed to escape most unwanted encounters, but now the priviledge of careless wz travel is limited to one class only.

Hunters are balanced in away that while being superior in solo, they aren't usefull in bigger wars. Their pets die very easily and without them their dmg output isn't that great. But with their good means of survival and chance to do surprise attacks from camo they can be valuable in war too.

Marksman
Pro's: longest range, decent speed, high dmg, very good dmg reduction spells, lot's of instants
Con's: fast mana consumption

With the introduction of strafing marksmen rule the wars of regnum. High dmg from long range allows them to be part of war at all times with very good dmg reduction capabilities making sure they don't face that great danger of dying while continuing to shoot deadly arrows at the enemies. Even if forced to close range they are far from hopeless, they can out run most classes and their defensive abilities keep them alive for some time even if they choose to stay and take the pounding.

Problem is their fast mana consumption, but even with normals they can do nice dmg. From a team point of view marxs don't have that vital skills, which would make them mandatory for a party, but they are still an nice addition to any group.

Conjurer
Pro's: heals, means of survival, alternative setups, mana control, range
Con's: main target, ungratefull allies, slow

Being the only healing class conjus are the core of any group. Even one support conjurer increases the capabilities of the group to an totally different level. Having few more just enchances the groups effectiviness even more. Based on what we see in game the support role isn't a role many wish to play. Many have leveled a conjurer, but spend most of their time on their other characters or play the conju as a warjurer. Despite being primarily a support class a conjurer can be a mighty dmg dealer with good means of survival. Many players despise those who choose to play like that, but I think the opportunity to play that way is vital to keep the conjurers interested in the game. I personally enjoy playing different roles (thus 3 chars) so limiting conjurers only to serve others isn't good for the game. It's clear that from the realm/group perspective a support conju is much more valuable, so the different roles the conjurers can take are nicely balanced in that sense.

Negative thing as a conjurer is that being so powerfull your foes want to take you out first. So despite the conjus good means of survival they are not always enough and force the conjurer to stay in the fort. The nerfs to conjurers means of survival has partly caused this and consequantly lead to a clear drop in the numbers support conjurers. Which makes battles last less time and the game involve more waiting and running instead of fighting. The good thing is that now it's much more easier to kick out a bigger enemy force from your forts. Which is unfortunately the most common situation in fort wars. (Which should be fixed, but isn't the subject of this post.)

Warlock
Pro's: good crowd control, range, areas, damaging capabilities, mana control
Con's: lack of defensive spells, cast times, slow

Some times it feels like warlocks exist only for one spell: Sultar's terror. It being a long range mass knock down with nice dmg it certainly belongs to every army and hardly any warlock leaves it out of their setup. Fortunately that's not all that warlocks do they have other means of crowd control too and nice ways of dealing damage. The tradional way is to make usage of their wast arsenal of spells, but there's also an alternative. I personally have been lately playing a staff mastery lock, because I just hate cast times and love the mobility given by strafing. (You can't strafe while casting, but you can while hitting normals.) This way the lock is little like a marksman. It has faster but lower hits and lower protection, but keeping the distance with strafing you can survive ok.

The weakness of a warlock comes from cast times (forces you to stand still and take the pounding), all most non existant dmg reduction spells and weak armor and hit points. Surely energy barrier is a great spell for staying alive and so are soulkeeper and vampirism, but those can get resisted/canceled so they don't always save you. But if you manage to stay alive a warlock is a deadly weapon.

Conclusion:
After writing all this I feel that I couldn't really describe the classes that well, but after wasting so much time writing the post I'll post it anyway. I guess my main points are the following:

1. Not being able to participate in war with melee classes and the possibility of not being able to land a single hit even in 1on1 situations.

2. There is only one solo class. Regnum has all the means off staying alive on your own in one class, when those could be distributed in several classes allowing more players to wonder around solo without constant fear of getting whacked. Example: one class could be able to track enemies, one could run from them with faster speed, another could be invisible, one could simply rely on it's strengh in most 1on1 situations, one would have spells to escape/disable the enemy, one could perhaps see the enemies from further distance etc.

Hopefully others will find this opening usefull and perhaps NGD get's some ideas for future changes and fixes. To me this just reminded why I should stay off the forums in this game and others.

To those that made it this far: Have a nice day and see you in the war zone!
Winds no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
ethil
Pledge

ethil is on a distinguished road

nice point of view =D
ethil no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
UmarilsStillHere
Marquis

UmarilsStillHere will become famous soon enough

I have only realy read the descrip on Barbs, after all its my 'main' class regardless that I have hardly used it in wz for a month for, well the reasons you stated.

Over short distance at least a Barb should be the fastest class, yes we have Onsl (10 seconds) which is about enough time to cross half of PP1, But why should warriors be the only class that NEED to spend X ammount of points in a skill to even have a chance in combat?

The combo of Range + Speed is to much in one package, NGD have said they know backpedal is to fast and allows archers to deal a load of hits before the warrior gets close (see vision and balance) but last time they reduced backpedal there was a huge backlash from 90% of players (mostly the ones with guess what, archers...) about how the class is ruined and NGD have destroyed archers forever etc etc so it was removed.

Since then they have implemented strafe, which allows archers a even greater ability to stay away and land even more hits before the warrior can get a hit off, Awesome...

I wouldent mind if all archer ranged were increased by 5/10 ft, IF Backpedal was slowed significantly and you have to stand still for X ammount of time after strafing to balance yourself for the shot.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
Greyman_tle
Initiate

Greyman_tle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umaril View Post
...... NGD have said they know backpedal is to fast and allows archers to deal a load of hits before the warrior gets close (see vision and balance) but last time they reduced backpedal there was a huge backlash from 90% of players (mostly the ones with guess what, archers...) about how the class is ruined and NGD have destroyed archers forever etc etc so it was removed.....
I have to say....try playing a Marks.....even with the backpedal speed as it is now, your only gonna get 3 maybe 4 at a push shots in b4 a warrior catches you...then your toast. I wasn't about when NGD slowed it further, but i can imagine the posts . In 1 on 1, ill fire at most 2 times then leg it, and even then i'm gonna die at least 50% of the time....in RvR then if your in front your gonna get targeted by more than 1 archer, but those around you get thru. You are after all the infantry (cannon fodder).

Have to agree with the sidestep point thou.....it is pointless due to the way targeting works....i wouldn't miss it at all....I tried to use it to 'hide' behind trees etc...but any ranged attack comes thru solid objects and hits anyway..so it only cuts down the amount of time i can fire. Even if kept it should be the same speed as backpedal as this would stop the running sideways issue and cut the attack angle of archers down to something sensible...im pretty sure its close to 180 degrees.

OP - Knights have 1 use ive noticed...fort door defence....their ability to exit a door, fight for a decent amount of time, then re-enter the fort....is invaluable. Barbs can do it, but not as well.

This is supposed to be a RvR game.....The Problem is its not purely RvR, probably from NGD trying to keep the player base (or at least some of it happy) by introducing or keeping PvP elements. The mixture of the 2 is iffy at the best, unplayable at worst - i think Reg is floating between these two.
Greyman_tle no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
UmarilsStillHere
Marquis

Turn sigs on, I have a Marks

~Faith 50 Barb | Umaril 45 Conju | Kailas 43 Marks | Pelnil Whitestrake 43 Knight~
A proud member of

Yes, one on one I would most likely get raped by a warrior then, but look at it this way...

One on One Archers currently Rape Warriors,
In War Archers mostly just Rape Warriors,

So archers (or ranegd class's in general) get 2 bites of the apple, this would give warriors an advantage or at least a fair fight in one on one (which is not great since its a team game) without totaly destroying archers in war.

Its pathetic having an archer dance around shooting you just out of range with you able to do very little about it, though I find Roar helps. So yes, the attack angle should also be slimmed somewhat.

In war as a Marks sure your still moving back and forth, but you dont realy need to do so so fast, besides you can mouse turn and run full speed forwards if you must.

Slower backpedal down, and changing strafe speed/wait to attack, would make archers worse one on one, and make them harder to grind, but in ranged war imo not effect them to much, as I said Id be happy to give extra range so that in war they dont need to move as much and they can still grind quite well.

We would all rather NGD just improive warriors, but how?

This would increase warrior player base, as NGD wants. Maybe not in the best way, but its certainly one way of doing it.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
Greyman_tle
Initiate

Greyman_tle is on a distinguished road

OP - Sry, feels like a post hijack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umaril View Post
So archers (or ranegd class's in general) get 2 bites of the apple, this would give warriors an advantage or at least a fair fight in one on one (which is not great since its a team game) without totaly destroying archers in war.....
That's what i mean with my last comment.....you can't balance the classes for both PvP and RvR, it's one or the other. Trying to get an even playing field for 1 on 1 just screws the whole RvR game, which only works with the diversity of the classes...

wont reply again...again sry OP.
Greyman_tle no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:05 AM   #7
_dracus_
Count

_dracus_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hunters are balanced in away that while being superior in solo, they aren't usefull in bigger wars. Their pets die very easily and without them their dmg output isn't that great. But with their good means of survival and chance to do surprise attacks from camo they can be valuable in war too.
Really pet isn't the only dmg output of a hunter. Ever faced a buffed hunter in war ? It's 500~750 dmg for ensaring arrows, 450~650 dual shots, normals around 300~450. You may find it useless, I don't :-)

Quote:
I must also say that barbarians aren't that broken as the above might make them look like. Just think about it why you die so fast if you try to approach the enemy. It's because you are a great threat to the enemy so they try their best to keep you away from them.

So let me get this straight?
If you die fast it's because you could be dangerous if you didn't ?
Old 09-08-2009, 07:18 AM   #8
-Edge-
Banned

-Edge- will become famous soon enough

Archer/Warrior balance is a farce. Even if I manage to land a 15 second stun on a hunter, destroy his/her pet in 3 hits, the hunter can still strafe amazingly, and in the tightest of situations run away with ease. With positioning bugs I find it almost impossible to land a hit on an archer who run's through me, ranged classes never have problems landing hits. I honestly don't like the whole concept of running away, yes its a tactic, but what is the point of stunning me then running away on your horse, or going god-mode away. You can't win, neither can I, unless you jump out at me when I have 1/8th HP. The game isn't meant to be played like that, unless you actually get fun off of that.

Barbarians are still imba in a lot of situations, like against lower level archers, mages, and other warriors, they can be torn like tissue paper. (Whichever barb can keep the knock change is usually the winner) To play in a fort war now I usually have to stay in the back line, and my job is just to pick up the scraps of whatever runs close into my lines.

But there is a HUGE gap of imbalance when an archer gets into it's 40's. It's the point where the archer can make full use of multiple trees, cheap point investments, and minimal work. It totally misses the point where the archer and warrior are near even to each other, and instead you either have one or the other totally dominating over the other. There are too few situations in Regnum that I've had an equal fight against, maybe against another barbarian, but if it's any other class its usually like the flip of a coin.

I've suggested it many times, but I honestly believe Constitution needs more value.

I have nothing to say on mages, as I lost interest in them a long time ago.
-Edge- no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #9
UmarilsStillHere
Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyman_tle View Post
OP - Sry, feels like a post hijack.

wont reply again...again sry OP.
This thread is about class playability, talking about archer vs warrior playability os about as on topic as you can get.

And as anyone who has played both an archer and warrior, eg Me. Playing a warrior in the current game is a nightmare, your lucky to do anything but hammer the gate even inside the fort ranged class's dance around you and your ranged buddies will likely kill him before you land a hit.

Playing as an archer, compared to warrior, feals so stupidly easy its almost like cheating. You are far far more involved in the fight because of range, ability to shoot from/at people on the walls and basicaly do something other than hit the gate, oh and ofc dance rings around warriors, knights mainly have little to no chance of getting near you. Mix in your near uncatchable speed, footwork, circle strafing and even basic CC and you are neigh immortal, I assume you have not read me telling of how my marks (42 at the time) killed a level 49 buffed knight (including a01) using no defence buffs, no speed boosts, only etheral, arcania serpants and normal hits. I landed I dunno near 40 shots before he went down, guess what, he got 1 on me.

But anyway, this has all been said in 100 threads, so if NGD wants to do something, get on with it, if not fair enough let the warrior class die.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:58 AM   #10
Winds
Pledge

Winds is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dracus_ View Post
Really pet isn't the only dmg output of a hunter. Ever faced a buffed hunter in war ? It's 500~750 dmg for ensaring arrows, 450~650 dual shots, normals around 300~450. You may find it useless, I don't :-)
You are right that useless is a too strong word and like I said in the next sentence they have use. In fact playing a hunter in war can be rather fun and effective, I just don't do it much myself, cause I want to use my other chars too. In fact nobody is useless even noobs that take hits for their allies aren't useless.

What comes to a buffed hunter, those are rather rare here on horus. Hardly anyone seems to play conju and even if they do might not use enchantments.

But anyways you are right, hunter wihtout a pet ain't no marksman, but still usefull.

Quote:
So let me get this straight?
If you die fast it's because you could be dangerous if you didn't ?
Well isn't it like that?

Example: A knight and barbarian come rushing at you. Most of us will target the barb, because he's a greater threat to your existance and faster to kill. If the barb would also be harder to kill it wouldn't be that balanced right?

Same thing applies to other classes, you try to take out those first that have the biggest influence to the battle, if they are left to live that is. This is why first priority is to disable the enemy conjus one way or another.
Winds no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote